Adam A5X vs A7X. Is bigger better?

ffarias

Hey guys! Hope you are doing great.

Well the question is pretty straight forwards, but I would like to add some context. I have an FM3 and I play mostly at my room, not very loud (85db aprox) and I basically use my monitors (JBL 305 MKII) to play guitar and jam along some backing tracks. Sometimes I compose some tracks but I mostly just play guitar. Since most of the time at play at my office/studio, having great quality monitors seems the logic option, paired with a portable FRFR to play with friends. Therefore, I was planing to upgrade my current monitors for Adam A5X/A7X, which seems to be very well regarded by Fractal users. However, I was wondering which should I get the 5 inches or the 7 inches version? Is it worth it the extra size?

Cheers!

depends on room size, volume needs or if you add a sub...

FWIW I used the 5 over the 7 for about 6 years before changing to Neumann KH120s. and the KH750 sub.

It's a small 10sqm room. I don't think I need a Sub considering that I use the mostly for playing guitar, I always do low cuts at +80hz

Mine 2x4m so 8 square. 5".is fine in that size. Your not going to use the few hz lower frq then, or need the bigger volume.

Smaller speakers tend to have a flatter response (the neuman 4s are flatter than the 5s for instance). The smaller cones are easier to control.

I use a sun for playback not mixing. I do play music through mine, and I'm a keys player as well, and the sub helps synths.

In your casecthe 5s will be the better option, even if they were the same price.

I ended up going with two A5x's and a sub8, vs two 7's just to save desk real estate, and I'm glad I did (would have been cheaper to just get two A7X's). Even before I added the sub I was happy with the highs from the 5's, and I am in an unfinished basement area, so lots of volume

great, thanks for the feedback!. BTW, is the su8 neccesary? considering that guitar is over 80Hz and lives mostly on mid frequencies?

great, thanks for the feedback!. BTW, is the su8 neccesary? considering that guitar is over 80Hz and lives mostly on mid frequencies?
I've never found a reason for having a sub for much in the studio. It's a very personal opinion that, as far as I've seen, there's no real answer for. However, this is taking in to account mixing. For just guitar I'd say a sub isn't necessary at all, and might not make much sound depending on your low cut.

Subs sound great in home theaters and for listening occasionally, but I just haven't cared for them in the studio. YMMV

I had a Yamaha HS8S sub hooked up to my A5X for two days and didn't see any advantage to it when playing guitar. Perhaps the sound was even slightly worse due to the longer cable runs and the additional crossover. For listening to music it was nice.

not for just guitar no - no benefit. As I say, I use one because I play keys/synths as well - and they DO need the low freq coverage. Just for guitars, you wont be using it.

If you find you using them for "playback" at some point - then you can just add a sub then. if you do _ I chose the Yam HS8 over the Adam sub - just sounded better - BUT the neumanns as a LOT better than either. They are a sealed design meaning lower, and tighter bass response. Different world..

My A7X's are coming today and will chime in after break-in process, hope I like them, but I also have the 2x12 Laney FRFR cab and It's so good for blues and tight for metal too I'm Impressed with it

I've never found a reason for having a sub for much in the studio. It's a very personal opinion that, as far as I've seen, there's no real answer for. However, this is taking in to account mixing. For just guitar I'd say a sub isn't necessary at all, and might not make much sound depending on your low cut.

Subs sound great in home theaters and for listening occasionally, but I just haven't cared for them in the studio. YMMV

I had a Yamaha HS8S sub hooked up to my A5X for two days and didn't see any advantage to it when playing guitar. Perhaps the sound was even slightly worse due to the longer cable runs and the additional crossover. For listening to music it was nice.

I concur with these assessments. I have the ADAM A5X monitors with an ADAM Sub7. When I'm just playing guitar I don't bother to turn on the sub because it makes little difference. It is noticeable when doing the high gain chug thing, but otherwise I can hardly tell it is there. However, it does add a lot of fullness to the sound when I'm playing bass guitar or listening to music, so I still think it is worth having a sub.

I'm currently thinking about the same question: Adam A7X, or Adam A5X plus Adam Sub 8.
I play guitar and 5 string bass through my Axe FX, so I guess the option A5X plus Sub is the better choice?
I mostly play at room volume (night time), sometimes louder. I currently have a very large room, but have to switch to a smaller space in the near future.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I'm waiting on my Xitone wedges still and I'm thinking about getting some monitors. Is anyone have experience with the Adam A7X and the T8V's? Pretty big price difference, is going with the A7X going to be that much better then the T8V meaning worth the money? Thank you

Last edited:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I'm waiting on my Xitone wedges still and I'm thinking about getting some monitors. Is anyone have experience with the Adam A7X and the T8V's? Pretty big price difference, is going with the A7X going to be that much better then the T8V meaning worth the money? Thank you
?

Just thought I’d give my 2 cents Even though this is an old thread. I listened to both the A5X and A7X quite lot side by side. The A5X sound better to me, they have more clarity in the mids. where the A7X wins though is in volume as they can develop much higher sound pressure levels without getting strained. This gives me a more guitar amp like feel, though I do have a decent room where I can push the volume a bit. I bought the A7Xs over the 5s for that reason. If I was just going to play quietly in a bedroom I probably would have taken the A5Xs.

I did listen to the T5V and T7V and I think they are good for the money and there are lots of people who are happy with them. The A series definitely are not twice as good at double the money, but I think they are significantly better and at the level I was after and could afford.

Back
Top Bottom