Ada mp1 in to what power amp?

Metal1993

Inspired
So I have a real ada mp1 and I run into the ax fx via the fxl then in to a cab in the ax fx. But does anyone have a recommendation on a power amp to send into first then a cab? I love the ada sound but dont know if i should send it into a power amp first in the ax fx as you would if you were not using the ax fx.

NMV = Non-Master-Volume.

I'd go Guitar > ADA then the OUT of the ADA (not the loop, and remember the inst/line level switch set correctly) into the rear panel Axe-FX inputs. Then I'd start with a Marshall model like the Plexi 50W Hi 1 ... then into a cab like the 4x12 TV Mix.

If you don't yet know your way around the Axe-Fx ... I'd suggest starting with just that instead of complicating your journey with the ADA involved.

TUBE PRE

• Based on: a completely neutral, low-gain tube preamp, useful for “warming up” various sources (including acoustic guitar and vocals) or to act as a power amplifier.
  • Cliff's comments:
    1. "The Tube Pre model is neutral. The "Vintage" tone stack is flat. The Tube Pre model uses the Vintage tone stack. The Vintage tone stack is a passive EQ model but it has a flat response when the controls are at noon. If you want "active" EQ you need to set the type to Active." source
    2. "If you only need power amp modeling, for example when using an external pre-amp through the Axe-Fx, use the Tube Pre model. It uses the Vintage tonestack which is flat when the tone controls are at noon." source
  • Yek's write-up.

NMV = Non-Master-Volume.

I'd go Guitar > ADA then the OUT of the ADA (not the loop, and remember the inst/line level switch set correctly) into the rear panel Axe-FX inputs. Then I'd start with a Marshall model like the Plexi 50W Hi 1 ... then into a cab like the 4x12 TV Mix.

If you don't yet know your way around the Axe-Fx ... I'd suggest starting with just that instead of complicating your journey with the ADA involved.
I should have said I dont know my way around doing something like this I know my way around the ax but not with setting up a amp infront of a preamp.

Back in the day, I had an ADA MP-1 into a rack-mounted Carvin tube power amp. Damn! That thing could rip. Whitesnake, Extreme, ect. all day long.

Once you get it going, let us know how you like it. Maybe even a sound clip, if it isn't too much trouble.

Back in the day, I had an ADA MP-1 into a rack-mounted Carvin tube power amp. Damn! That thing could rip. Whitesnake, Extreme, ect. all day long.

Once you get it going, let us know how you like it. Maybe even a sound clip, if it isn't too much trouble.
Do you remember which carvin it was? Wonder if its been modeled?

Use the tube pre, it gives some pretty good results.

I tried dialing in my ADA and the AX8 by ear to match one another, you can copy the settings here or convert the preset via Fractool if you'd like.

So I have a real ada mp1 and I run into the ax fx via the fxl then in to a cab in the ax fx. But does anyone have a recommendation on a power amp to send into first then a cab? I love the ada sound but dont know if i should send it into a power amp first in the ax fx as you would if you were not using the ax fx.

I've had a MP1 since it was new. I go out to a BBE (slight bump in the Lo-Contour) and into an ADA B200S power amp. way more power than I've ever needed.

what you're describing is something I've also considered. using the diagram in the Axe-Fx owner's manual, running the Axe-Fx as an effects processor in the FX loop of the MP-1.

Use the tube pre, it gives some pretty good results.

I tried dialing in my ADA and the AX8 by ear to match one another, you can copy the settings here or convert the preset via Fractool if you'd like.

check out Robert Fosnot on FB. he's a MP-1 guru. he advised going with the Peavey 5150 amp block. I dialed in the same drive and B/M/T settings and it is probably the closest amp block I've tried so far that matches the MP1

I'd also TOTALLY appreciate an ADA MP-1 amp block in future upgrades. I think I read that Cliff may already have some to use as the template, but I have a spare that I'd be willing to discuss donating to the cause. :grinning:

Last edited:
What the OP needs is a Two Notes Torpedo CAB, awesome tube power amp sims, realtime mic positioning cab sims, EQ, room sim/reverb, full MIDI, and you get the WOS III plugin with it too.

The Ultra's tube-pre is not a tube power amp sim, and if you enable the power amp sim with the tube-pre it then it's no longer near flat. I have both, and the Torpedo CAB kills it in every way as a tube power amp sim.

Another fun trick is to set your tube preamp's tone stack as flat as possible (or bypass it etc), then use the Axe's tube-pre to switch tone stacks, works great as a post tone stack modeler with the Torpedo CAB's tube power amp sims post that.

I had a ADA MP-1 for many years, loved it, thought there were no modeled tube power amp sims at that time etc.

If you have a DAW you can try some of the Two Notes tube power amp sims via their WIOS III plug-in demo.

EDIT: I've found a way to use the Ultra's Tube-Pre for a pseudo tube power amp sim with my tube preamps which now sounds as good as the Torpedo's, and here are the details...

a) I set my tube preamp's tone stack as flat as possible (typically bass and mid up, treble down, but it varies). The Seymour Duncan Tone Stack Calc for Windows works well for this!

b) I then instantiate a amp block with the Tube-Pre, and then pick a tone-stack for my rather flat sounding tube pre.

c) I then turn on the Tube-Pre's power section by turning Sag up from zero, and while leaving the Tube-Pre's tone stack flat, adjust the various power amp parameters to what I need considering the gain structure and tone of the tube preamp, and the selected tone stack in the Tube-Pre.

I've tried it with relatively clean through edge-of-breakup Fender/Vox, to pushed mid-gain modded Marshall/Mesa type tones with good success.

It doesn't really bloom as good as the Torpedo's tube power amp sims, but aside from that easily as good seeing that this is all subjective in nature.

Good luck OP.

Last edited:
For real power amp, for me it was the original Boogie 295.
If you were going into the Axefx, I would go into tube pre as others have mentioned.

The OP doesn't need to use the amp block at all or buy some Two Notes product.

Just place a PEQ block after the Cab block. Set it for a bell curve set to -3 dB at 400 Hz. Adjust the Q/bandwidth to roughly where the edges of the curve start to make the initial cut around 100 Hz on the low side and 2 kHz on the high side.

This is what OwnHammer recommends doing to their IR's if you want to replicate the sound of IR’s that were instead driven by a guitar tube power amp with the Presence and Depth set to 0, which results in a mid scoop.

Sorry, tube power amps do much more than the linear portions of freq response which is the only aspect that standard IR's like OH's can do.

Tube preamps NEED tube power amp sim (as well as cab sims if DI'd etc), to sound their best ASSUMING one wants to sound like a full tube amp rather than a stand alone preamp etc.

I've been able to get my tube pre's sounding good with the Ultra's Tube-Pre, instructions below...

EDIT: I've found a way to use the Ultra's Tube-Pre for a pseudo tube power amp sim with my tube preamps which now sounds as good as the Torpedo's, and here are the details...

a) I set my tube preamp's tone stack as flat as possible (typically bass and mid up, treble down, but it varies). The Seymour Duncan Tone Stack Calc for Windows works well for this!

b) I then instantiate a amp block with the Tube-Pre, and then pick a tone-stack for my rather flat sounding tube pre. I set the Tube-Pre's gain to zero, Master Volume to ten.

c) I then turn on the Tube-Pre's power section by turning Sag up from zero, and while leaving the Tube-Pre's tone stack flat, adjust the various power amp parameters to what I need considering the gain structure and tone of the tube preamp, and the selected tone stack in the Tube-Pre (I'll look at the modeled amp's power amp settings for ideas and tweak from there etc).

Leave the Tube-Pre's gain at zero and make up gain elsewhere as needed (Level, FX Loop etc, you;ll need quite a bit).

I've tried it with relatively clean through edge-of-breakup Fender/Vox, to pushed mid-gain modded Marshall/Mesa type tones with good success.

It doesn't really bloom as good as the Torpedo's tube power amp sims, but aside from that easily as good seeing that this is all subjective in nature.

The OP doesn't need to use the amp block at all or buy some Two Notes product.

Just place a PEQ block after the Cab block. Set it for a bell curve set to -3 dB at 400 Hz. Adjust the Q/bandwidth to roughly where the edges of the curve start to make the initial cut around 100 Hz on the low side and 2 kHz on the high side.

This is what OwnHammer recommends doing to their IR's if you want to replicate the sound of IR’s that were instead driven by a guitar tube power amp with the Presence and Depth set to 0, which results in a mid scoop.

Last edited:
seeing that this is all subjective in nature.
25-22-610x360.jpg

My MP1's front input jack is broke (apparently a common thing… anyone have suggestions for a repair without shipping it to somewhere in L.A.?), so I actually have to run it in "4CM", running from the Axe's FX Loop output into the line-level input on the back, and return via the Axe's FX Return. From there I route to the Tube Pre amp block and whatever cab IR (or other effects) I happen to want to use.

It's always been a bit noisy this way (I gather the MP1 isn't the quietest unit out there anyway)… though I finally got some short humbuster cables and plan to try those, combined with the other standard AxeFX 4CM noise-reduction techniques, soon.

My MP1's front input jack is broke (apparently a common thing… anyone have suggestions for a repair without shipping it to somewhere in L.A.?), so I actually have to run it in "4CM", running from the Axe's FX Loop output into the line-level input on the back, and return via the Axe's FX Return. From there I route to the Tube Pre amp block and whatever cab IR (or other effects) I happen to want to use.

It's always been a bit noisy this way (I gather the MP1 isn't the quietest unit out there anyway)… though I finally got some short humbuster cables and plan to try those, combined with the other standard AxeFX 4CM noise-reduction techniques, soon.

Check out: http://www.adadepot.com/
Member by the name MarshallJMP should be able to answer. I bought some mods from him (MDRT transformer mod, noise mod v2). I think he sells replacement front input jacks for the v1.38 MP-1. They're not just any jacks, there's some kind of internal switching involved, IIRC.
There's also a DIY archive on the forum. I converted my rear input (I have the older version) into an instrument jack, and installed a battery clip holder (Amazon) to replace ADA's "brilliant" solder-the-damn-battery-directly-to-the-terminals method.

Back
Top Bottom