actual TONE matching

prometh

Power User
From what I've gathered, the new Tone Matching feature doesn't actually match the tones of a recording like the Kemper does, but instead creates an impulse response of the EQ, phase, etc of the amp and any cabs.

Are there plans to add profiling like the Kemper?

i'd be interested to know if you can tell the difference between the two in a mix situation. This thread has come up a couple times with the general consensus being "you are overthinking this, just play guitar"

From what I've gathered, the new Tone Matching feature doesn't actually match the tones of a recording like the Kemper does, but instead creates an impulse response of the EQ, phase, etc of the amp and any cabs.

My Kemper couldn't match a recorded tone, only an amp. The Axe can match a recorded tone.

Are there plans to add profiling like the Kemper?

The Kemper is adding a matching eq to a base tone created by a waveshaper (check out the discussion on the Kemper forum about there being only 1 clean preamp sound on the Kemper, the rest is in the cabinet profile). The Kemper is more automated as it automatically sets the parameters on the waveshaper where on the Axe we select an Amp model and settings for the base tone in a Tone Match. They're both applying a matching eq to a base tone, main difference is how the base tone is set.

Ah, and waveshaper stuff is what Fractal was doing before moving up to the Axe-Fx II's technology

Ah, and waveshaper stuff is what Fractal was doing before moving up to the Axe-Fx II's technology

No, Fractal products certainly have not ever used waveshaper as the main source and still does not. Cliff never used that technology, he decided long ago to go with an interactive 'model every aspect of the amp' and never used a general waveshaper on the Gen1 or Gen2 boxes. He's shot a very complex amp match (not just a tone match and far beyond what the Kemper does) with 6.00 and made it integral to the amp models. Fractal has and continues to use a hybrid modeling/IR based approach.

Ah, didn't know. I'm not very technical with that stuff.

Would be cool if the Tone Match block could select the most compatible amp for us.

Ah, didn't know. I'm not very technical with that stuff.

Would be cool if the Tone Match block could select the most compatible amp for us.

But don't you think it's nice to have the flexibility of selecting your base amp? Some cool discoveries can be achieved.

There's certainly something to be said for a 'easy' button, but some amp models are subtly different and that could lead a 'default' amp to not sound right to you. What I really like is that you can try Tone Matching with different amps and see which works best. You can also change the amp block params, including amp model, after you match.

My .02 - It's the subtleties in the models that keep the Tone Match's from having a 'sameness' that I was getting on another device.

Regarding waveshaper vs analog component modelling: Cliff has commented that he tried the waveshaper route and now builds amps from schematics using his modular based modelling system (he's even commented on 'adding a few resistors' to a stage on the 5150). Analog component modelling & digital signal modelling are nothing new, they've been used in the auto industry and high tech for decades. Before a car is built all systems are modeled and tested for weaknesses. Applying it to amp modelling required fast enough processors and someone who could analyze, interpret and model the impact of an analog component (resistor, capacitor, tube element, etc) on an audio signal - that fact that Fractal's modular models work so well is revolutionary.

From what I've gathered, the new Tone Matching feature doesn't actually match the tones of a recording like the Kemper does, but instead creates an impulse response of the EQ, phase, etc of the amp and any cabs...
The IR Capture feature measures an impulse response, but I was under the impression that the Tone Matching was more like a "Match EQ," with the EQ settings based on the spectral analysis of two signals. But I'll admit I haven't kept up with all the discussion on this topic across several sites.

Back
Top Bottom