Active or passive FRFR speaker/s?

luke1

Should I get an active frfr speaker for my axe fx 2 or a passive speaker + power amp? If I chose the active route I'd go with the Q12 Active Monitor, however, if I went passive I'd choose the CFR12 FRFR PASSIVE WEDGE MONITOR + the Matrix gt1000fx as a power amp. Is it fine with just using a single frfr speaker or should I use two because in the manual on the top page of 18 it shows the axe using both outputs L + R. Are you able to use it so it's neither panned left or right or would you just say use the left and pan your patches/guitar left? Sorry guys haven't gotten my Axe yet as it's coming next week. I apologize for the noob questions. Here's the link to the manual by the way; http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf

Or should I just go with power amp + cab, was considering getting the HESU 212 cab.

separate power amp and speakers gives loads more options. Can use diff cab combinations to suit the occasion eg 2 x 12 or 1 x 12 or guitar cab. I have a matrix GT800fx and use it with matrix FR212 or sometimes Q12 plus FR212 or sometimes my marshall or Engl 2 x12 or 4x12. If you decided you want a valve amp in the future you could change and still use the cabs. Thats the logic I used anyway. I think the Axe Fx is best used live when you can go through a PA. If you are using it purely as a backline then tastes differ as to whether FRFR or guitar cabs work best and FRFR can take some getting used to as you get less of an air moving cutting punchy sound compared to a valve head and cab normal amp setup. You can tinker with the EQ but ultimately it becomes like comparing a solid state amp to a valve amp. It probably doesn't make any difference to the audience but is a feel thing to the player on stage.

Purely a preference thing, years ago when I first started out with the Axe I was using power amp a guitar cabs then I slowly moved over to full range cabs and once I got used to how a mic'd cab sounded I haven't looked back. If you are used to hearing your sound from a guitar cab I would probably start with a Power amp and guitar cab setup then as you have opportunities audition FR cabs to see if you like the flexibility they offer.

I just got my, "grubbies" on a pair of passive CLR's and Matrix power amp. Absolutely love it! I elected to go this route for the additional options at my disposal rather than being pickled with the built in amp. As well, I'm not convinced about class D amplification. Just my opinion. :)

Nothing wrong with just using one frfr speaker. Guitarists have been playing mono since the 50's......:encouragement:

Thanks a lot everyone. Yeah I was thinking of just getting matrix gt1000fx 2u + the cfr212 passive wedge and then eventually buying another wedge. As I said in the op, the manual shows using two for the L+R outputs, how do I do it with just a single one??

In the I/O menu it'll show: output 1: stereo by default. (you can change the value to sum L/R together for mono)

I have two active CLR wedges. With hindsight, I wish I had bought passive wedges and a Matrix amp for more flexibilty. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom