Active Monitor Upgrade Advice Sought

ToTheAtom

Condo dweller here with shared walls, so I'm unable to really turn the volume up as I would like, but such is life. In the year and a half that I've owned my XL+, I've been playing through a pair of affordable Mackie MR5 mk3 monitors. Not bad at all, but I feel like maybe I'm not doing this incredible piece of hardware justice. I know that I'm not going to truly unleash its full potential playing through a pair of 5" monitors, regardless of expense and brand. However, I'm wondering if dropping four to five hundred bucks to upgrade to a pair of Equator D5s or Adam F5s (or something similar) would make any noticeable difference at all? Thoughts and insight are much appreciated!

Atomic clr

Sounds like overkill but it actually sounds really good even at neighbor friendly volumes and of course can get loud if you want/need

Used prices are right on par with a decent studio monitor as well

Really nice thing with the clr is the dispersion. My desktop monitors sound great (prosonus specters) but I don't like to always play sitting in front of my desk.

The clr lets me have freedom to move around the room more and still hear a great tone

Yamaha's H8 are always a safe bet and you get the pair for about $750. If you can stretch the budget, get the ZenPro Mod ones.

Anything in particular about the Yamahas as opposed to the Equator or Adams? Unfortunately, I think 8" monitors would be a little too much for my situation and would prefer to stick with something in 5"... I know, I know.

Regardless, would any of the above produce a noticeable improvement over the Mackies I have in an untreated room or am I wasting my money?

Appreciate the insight!

Anything in particular about the Yamahas as opposed to the Equator or Adams? Unfortunately, I think 8" monitors would be a little too much for my situation and would prefer to stick with something in 5"... I know, I know.

Regardless, would any of the above produce a noticeable improvement over the Mackies I have in an untreated room or am I wasting my money?

Appreciate the insight!
The Yamahas has been in my home studio for a while and I love them. Adams are really good but they're more expensive. I personally didn't think I would need something more than 5" but a speaker this size usually lacks definition and low end during critical applications.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I'll always recommend the Focal Alpha range for active monitors. I've personally got the 80's.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I'll always recommend the Focal Alpha range for active monitors. I've personally got the 80's.

While I don't know these exact models, I do like Focal drivers ... they tend to be terrific.

I'd look for a larger driver (>5") ... you're going to want some low frequencies even if at low volumes.

Anything in particular about the Yamaha's as opposed to the Equator or Adams? Unfortunately, I think 8" monitors would be a little too much for my situation and would prefer to stick with something in 5"... I know, I know.

Appreciate the insight!

The Yamaha's are 'excellent' monitors. Don't be concerned with the 8" aspect. They are NOT too big for your situation. They are extremely controllable. For 'at home' or 'studio' work. Just the right amount of air moving. Besides, if you move you can CRANK EM.

Just a quick update:

Appreciate everyone's advice. After a lot of research and consideration, I actually decided to purchase a pair of Neumann KH 120s. Not cheap, but hopefully will be exactly what I was looking for. Will let you know what I think when they arrive, if anyone is interested.

I would be interested to know your opinions of them! Mosty if they go low enough for you for full mixes, seems to be conflicting info about them (conflicting info on the internet, surprising!)

Just a quick update:

Appreciate everyone's advice. After a lot of research and consideration, I actually decided to purchase a pair of Not cheap, but hopefully will be exactly what I was looking for. Will let you know what I think when they arrive, if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom