Active Matrix Q12 or get a matrix power amp?

Jaekae

Seems like i cant get to like playing guitar through studio monitors, feels so artificial :) i want ore of a real amp in the room feel with the axe,

i currently have 2 cabs that are really good, one suhr 1x12 with a scumback speaker and a mesa 2x12 with v30s,

anyone who compared a active FRFR speaker like the new matrix q12 with a matrix poweramp plus cabs? What setup sounds the most like a real amp in the room?

Clarky and I have done this before.

Basically we had:

An Axe-FX II driving a Matrix GT1000FX two Marshall 1960s (4x12s) and then into two Matrix CFR 12s (the wedges).

The 4x12s were very focused, like a narrow beam of audio rocking energy coming at you, but only if you're stood right in front of it.

With the CFRs, Clarkys studio sounds translated better than the live settings being used with the 4x12s (yes, we put on cab sims :) ). Also another benefit was that the sound was a more inclusive experience. I would say that this due to the CFRs having an 80 degree wave of rocking energy.​

I am currently using two CFRs with a Matrix GT1500FXBD and the sound is outstanding.

Last edited:
Well my opnion is that guitar cabs do better if you play really loud in a loud band:). I do have 2 2 x 12 Engl cabs loaded with EV12l and G30H powered with the GT1000. A GOOD sound. After reading all the positive reviews on the Q12's I really thought it was a winner for me. Replacing the 2 x 12's with only the Q12's did not work unfortunatly. I can imagen however having the 2 x 12's and the Q12's together sounding fabulous. But thats not the idea is it? I mean then you carry even more load.
I tweaked for 4 days and I came close but not the thing I was used to. Thats my experience so far. It really depends on what you are looking for. The Q12's do sound very good. Better then all the other FRFR speakers in my quest so far. For me FRFR still is not ideal. Not even with the best speakers around :)

From what I understand, you are trying to compare apples and oranges. An amp cab will color your sound, which some people like, but then you may (or may not) have to turn off you Cab sim when running the Axe through it.

If I understand correctly, the FRFR solution doesn't color the sound at all so you get exactly (for the most part) what is coming out of the Axe, sound wise.

I'll tell ya, so far I'm running the Axe through some M-Audio BX5as and it sounds AMAZING! I will soon be getting a Xitone 1x12 active wedge (Mayish), but can't believe the sounds I'm getting out of these tiny little studio monitor speakers so far.

You could pick up the matrix power amp and some passive q12 cabs. This way you have access to all of the options and greater flexibility going forward and you can directly compare your guitar cabs to the frfr and see what you prefer.

Spence

Hi

Axe FX Ultra into Matrix GT1000FX into Martix CFR 12's

Extreme high's and low's rolled off in global settings.

= Very satisfing tone and feel!
Light portable rig
Fractal unit used as intended

Very happy thankyou

Gordon

Hi

Axe FX Ultra into Matrix GT1000FX into Martix CFR 12's

Extreme high's and low's rolled off in global settings.

= Very satisfing tone and feel!
Light portable rig
Fractal unit used as intended

Very happy thankyou

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
Glad your enjoying it :)
Best regards
Matt

Back
Top Bottom