active frfr options

VeryBadMan

Experienced
Hey Ive kind of settled on the idea of an active cab / wedge to use with my AXEII
this is for bedroom studio usage . I probably wont do any but small gigs with it, if any.
So volume is not a big condsideration . Just want to get a decent representation of
the axe and enjoy jamming with backing tracks , friends etc.

What would you recomend I look for / avoid if I shop for somthing like this in local
music stores ie Guitar center . I went by there and they had many monitors active / passive
but I did not know if any of what they had would suit my needs . Cost is not a big concern
but I dont think I need to get the top dog / high end touring musician rig set up if I'm just going
to jam out in my bedroom .

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Search.. been discussed to death.. in a nutshell, all depends on your wallot. Many things from cheap to way expensive, and various different opinions on each.

You will have to order, but get the Atomic CLRs. I've tried many options and they are the best to compliment the Axe IMO.

Seek and ye shall find - I answered my own question thanks to the Wiki

Powered Monitors FRFR (Full Range Flat Response)
Atomic Reactor ARFR-AG - Full Range tube powered guitar cabinet [1]
Atomic Reactor ARFR-AW - Full Range Flat Response wedge cabinet [2]
Yamaha DSR112 [3]
QSC HPR 122i
JBL PRX 512M
RCF ART 322A
Renkus Heinz CF121M
Renkus Heinz Sygma 121
SFX Space Station MK II Groove Tubes
Traynor K4 (Keyboard Amp)
Roland KC-350
Passive Monitors FRFR (Full Range Flat Response)
Atomic Reactor ARFR-PG passive cabinet [4]
Atomic Reactor ARFR-PW passive wedge [5]
FBT Maxx2
FBT Verve 12m
FBT Verve 8m

Seek and ye shall find - I answered my own question thanks to the Wiki

Powered Monitors FRFR (Full Range Flat Response)
Atomic Reactor ARFR-AG - Full Range tube powered guitar cabinet [1]
Atomic Reactor ARFR-AW - Full Range Flat Response wedge cabinet [2]
Yamaha DSR112 [3]
QSC HPR 122i
JBL PRX 512M
RCF ART 322A
Renkus Heinz CF121M
Renkus Heinz Sygma 121
SFX Space Station MK II Groove Tubes
Traynor K4 (Keyboard Amp)
Roland KC-350
Passive Monitors FRFR (Full Range Flat Response)
Atomic Reactor ARFR-PG passive cabinet [4]
Atomic Reactor ARFR-PW passive wedge [5]
FBT Maxx2
FBT Verve 12m
FBT Verve 8m

Don't forget Mackie (like them or not). I've heard and AxeFxII gigged through the HD1221(powered cabinet) and it sounded pretty decent. That said, it is in the $799 price range, so for +$200 you can get the current holy grail - Atomic Active CLR - and be done with it.

IMO, if you are going to spend more than $700, you might as well just suck it up and go for the CLR. If you're in the $400-600 range, there are a lot of options out there, but it is a mixed bag of performance and tone differences that only you can really ferret through, based on your preferences. Go to the nearest big box music shop that has the best variety of speakers and audition them. Since you're a bedroom player, you should be able to find a LOT of worthy choices, and it's tough to go wrong with all of the common reputable names.

if you're just playing in your bedroom/studio, then a pair of decent active studio monitors would be fine. tannoy, krk...the list is endless. see what people are using...there are plenty of threads about this. i have an old pair of tannoy reveals (the original blue ones) and they sound great

Picked up a EV ZLX 15 P .

So far quite impressed really does the axe fx very well. Has a built in EQ that does a great job of compensating for the room / how the speaker is positioned . Pretty much dial in the response you want .
And it gets Very loud O yeah . Perhaps a bit much for the bedroom studio but better to have too much than not enough right .

Congrats with the EV! I am going to add my comments even though you already decided, if someone else checks out the tread with the same questions.

I have the Matrix Q12a, which is worth looking into if an active FRFR cab/wedge is what you want. I´m really happy with it, it plays well at both bedroom and band practice levels. These are available now, and Matrix customer support is second to none.

For bedroom studio usage though, I would rather recommend that you look into a pair of active monitors, I use Adam A3X´s which suits my needs perfectly. They pack more than enough punch for bedroom/studio usage, with the added benefit of running in stereo (which is awesome) for a lot less money than 2 active FRFR cabs. Also, active FRFR cabs in general use more powerful amplifiers which need cooling -> noise which might be heard when playing at bedroom levels.

I just took advantage of gc's fathers day sale and picked up the new adams f7 monitors.They sound great.Definitely awesome for the price.I also use an ev112x for those louder moments.Good mid priced stuff.

Back
Top Bottom