Active CLR Wedge preview...

paulbag

Inspired
I'm fortunate enough to have a friend with two active CLR wedges who also happens to have a couple of weeks off from gigs. Lucky me he's letting me borrow one while waiting for the list to reach me. After only having a couple hours with it so far, all I can say is Holy Shit! Amazing sound and tone. I'm a high gain player, been getting into playing stuff like Decapitated, Six Feet Under, Gojira etc. and I LOVE me my deep low bottom end. After some user posts here I wondered If the CLR would work for me but those concerns have been put to bed. After simply selecting the proper rear panel settings I was good...actually great! When I first bought my Axe II a couple months ago I was feeding it into 1/2 stacks. Sounded sick but I want to take advantage of cab Sims so I got on the list after a couple of friends swore by the active CLR wedge. While waiting I picked up a pair of Equator D5's to hold me over (which are also great imo) and all the thick, beefy high gain patches I built are really coming to life now with the CLR. My review so far? Worth the wait...:)

Nice! Do you miss the "in the room" at all? How long have you been playing? What gear have you lived with?

Good to know that heavy riffage doesn't get lost in translation through the CLRs. Thanks for your impressions!
Good thing you didn't say "Holy Shitballs" as I think Cliff and the guy who coined the phrase get royalties anytime it's used.
Uh oh, I think someone from ASCAP is knocking on my door! :nightmare:

I'm also interested in "the feel" part of it
I've gone back to using am amp/real cab and love the feel much more than I did
using the RCF, but I loved the sound of the RCF.
is this going to make me ditch my Matrix/Avatar setup?

Nice! Do you miss the "in the room" at all? How long have you been playing? What gear have you lived with?

Nope, the sound from the wedge is huge...chest thumping chugging riffs are a blast...great controllable feedback, so far not missing my cabs. The dispersion needs to be experienced first hand, just like the Axe II itself needed to be experienced to be believed.
I've been playing off and on for 30 years (I'm 43) and in many bands over the years. Honestly I never really had the means to buy top of the line gear that many people here have owned. I've made due with Peaveys, Crates Blue Voodoos,...middle of the road stuff. However, the "other" guitar player in most of the bands I've been in have owned Mesa's, Diezel's, Bogner's...so I've always been around the "good" stuff.
Not sure Nick if this will make you sell your Matrix rig as I haven't played through one but if you wanna take a ride to Fitchburg I'll let you plug in!

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend with two active CLR wedges who also happens to have a couple of weeks off from gigs. Lucky me he's letting me borrow one while waiting for the list to reach me. After only having a couple hours with it so far, all I can say is Holy Shit! Amazing sound and tone. I'm a high gain player, been getting into playing stuff like Decapitated, Six Feet Under, Gojira etc. and I LOVE me my deep low bottom end. After some user posts here I wondered If the CLR would work for me but those concerns have been put to bed. After simply selecting the proper rear panel settings I was good...actually great! When I first bought my Axe II a couple months ago I was feeding it into 1/2 stacks. Sounded sick but I want to take advantage of cab Sims so I got on the list after a couple of friends swore by the active CLR wedge. While waiting I picked up a pair of Equator D5's to hold me over (which are also great imo) and all the thick, beefy high gain patches I built are really coming to life now with the CLR. My review so far? Worth the wait...:)
Great to hear that you've had a chance to demo in advance of you name coming up on the list and that you already know the wait will be worth it. Don't worry you'll have your "forever" CLR soon. :)

-TK

I've got my fingers crossed that I'll make the first round, but you can't blame guys for ordering two wedges for stereo...I know I will be :D

Thanks Tom for providing such an awesome tool for us Axe lovers!

I'm really loving this wedge...

I've been re-tweaking presets and comparing, and I'm finding nothing but improvements across the board post CLR. Presets I thought were pretty good before, after re-tweaking via CLR, then reapplied to whatever setup they were originally designed for...tube amp, D5's, headphones, the CLR itself...whatever. The preset reworked is a night/day improvement. I'm so looking forward to playing through a pair of these.
I'll be planning a weeks vacation whenever they're due to arrive and lock the doors...
Heaven.

The Man in Brown dropped mine off about 30 minutes ago. Of course I had to check it out before going to dinner. :)

I now get what Scott P has been saying about "what you put in is what you get out". It sounds "the way it's supposed to" with no hyped bass, no overly present treble, and loads of volume on tap. I probably won't get real quality time with them until Saturday but I'm digging what I heard so far.

The only thing that keeps me from getting a second one and using them as the monitors in my guitar room is that I don't have the space for 'em. The shipping box was a bit bigger than I expected and the CLR is pretty sizable compared to my K8s. It's a bit heavier than the diminutive QSC but the handle is well-placed and comfortable to carry.

Now I just need to get my job to the point where I have time to find a new band! I barely have time to maintain my modest skills, let alone work on material for a band. :(

Back
Top Bottom