ACPAD- not for me, but may be an interesting controller for AXEFX

Yes, just saw this. Interesting. Looks more promising than Guitar Wing.

Great product for looping musicians, except for the fact that looping can get boring quickly; the pad adhesive will likely react with nitro finishes; and I wonder about the robustness of the wireless midi and the pad itself.

I do some limited looping so I'm more a complainer than a hater. I'd really like something like this for professionals, but with more innovations on the user experience and software end so the the audience experiences music in a format they're more familiar with vs. going in circles with abrupt endings, which is typical of a looper artist performance.

Typical music/songs evolve over the course of the piece, and most looping doesn't. It traps the musician, and the only way "out" is to pile riffs onto "section A" of the "song" After a couple minutes, you're literally going in circles polishing a turd. It was painful, but I counted 56 times through the same 4 bar harmonic/rhythm phrase here, adding/removing riffs. And this guy is a very popular performer and a great musician.

Even if you're really good at de-emphasizing the repetition, it can take 4 minutes to build up a 3 minute song.

If looping software were more innovative and user-friendly, and the guitar surface became the instrument interface, imagine what a guy like this could do with it (he uses an axe-fx by the way).

I looked into looping and tried to think a bit ahead. I programmed a template in Live with three looping engines (song sections A, B, C, different rhythm "base" for each), ability to switch between the engines, stack/remove parts, apply effects to different layers, and solo layers. I can run it with a gordius little giant, but I haven't bothered because the time it takes to build multiple song sections.

Done right, this wireless guitar midi pad could be a very useful tool. That said, I still don't like the idea of making an audience sit through a multi-tracking session before the song actually starts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom