Acoustic Treatment of Room

ChrisMetal86

Experienced
So things are changing in my household as my lady and I make plans to move in together... o_O I've moved my Desk and Axe FX out of my room and put into my spare room where I have my work bench and weight bench. The room isn't all that big, but everything fits and functions just fine. Its 11ftx9ft with 8ft ceilings. The problem is my room has nothing to absorb sound reflections and what not. The floor is tile as well so the frequency reflections and flutters can really be ear fatiguing. I've attached a rough drawing of how the room is laid out to give you guys an idea. I'm wanting to get some bass traps for the corners for sure and some foam panels for the walls. Problem is I have no clue how many would be best for my room given its lay out. Guys who have done room treatments please chime in. I'm not wanting to spend a ton on it, but would like something to tame the echo and frequency build up. I've already used a placement rug which helps somewhat. My other room had a couch and my bed which soaked up a ton of sound, however I had to move things around in my house to make room for her and her belongings...:confused:

Attachments

• Room Layout.jpg
    Room Layout.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
You can do sophisticated or try old school. Sophisticated is a room analysis, as previously suggested.

Old school is not nearly as accurate, but more or less gets it done. Try standing in the room and clap your hands. Listen carefully to where the sound is most present. You can buy room treatment products from Aurelex. At a minimum you'll likely need bass traps for the corners and a few wall treatments to break up large flat walls. Give carefull consideration to where you will record vocals or acoustic instruments. If you are using a large diaphragm mic for recording you should cover the back of the mic with a sound screen. On a really tight budget, a foam pillow secured to the mic stand works pretty well. You can PM me if you want to chat about this. Try this www.auralex.com/

Hi,

Also - your closet may be an ally when it comes to taming bass reflections. You could seal the door with draught excluder tape and a weather seal on the bottom, then cut the right sized hole in the door.... Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance and to get away from the crazy maths, try some of the acoutsic claculator here to look at the room modes, and how to tame them with your closet! http://www.mh-audio.nl/spk_calc.asp.

Thanks
Pauly

When I was looking for an acoustic treatment for my project studio, I found out all the major companies, in that field, offer acoustical advice (obviously they suggest their products ;)). Another one that I would like to suggest you is GIK Acoustic (http://www.gikacoustics.com/). I bought some panels from them and I made some others by myself. Now I have a room that is enought treated (not a pro studio to record strings and horns but enough to record and mix guitar/bass and voice in the right way).

Back
Top Bottom