Acoustic Tone Matching

Spawn2031

Inspired
So, I am following along with Cooper Carter's acoustic tone match vid on creativelive.com. I'm using the intro from She Talks to Angels as my reference source. It seems to have worked pretty well except overall it sounds like I'm playing in a tunnel or tin can of sorts. Its very hollow sounding. Is this a common issue when tone matching acoustics?

So far my chain is very simple Studio Comp > Filter set to low pass with Hz way up to kill the high end hiss > TM block. I know there is a ton of variables here I was just hoping this might be a common issue with a relatively well known method for solving it.

I did this late last night and will post up a clip as soon as I can get back to my axe.

Trying this myself with no luck. Used a Tommy Emmanuel tune and "She Talks..." also. getting the same results - a very muted, boxy tone. Using a piezo bridge in a Brian Moore guitar. Anyone have a suggestion?

Try de-phase in the cab block. Turn it up until that "phasey" sound you're describing is diminished. I wish tone match wouldn't generate the phase issues in the first place, and I'm not sure why it does.

If smoothing (same as de-phase in cab block) were brought back to the tone match block (it used to be there), users could "double up" on de-phase. Who knows, it might help. For now it's been re-located to the cab block.

Make sure the reference source is in mono.

If the L and R reference source have different audio, you can end up with excess comb filtering.

Either create a mono route input in the Fractal or split the source audio into L and R and just use one.

You'll get the best results when matching yourself: mic the guitar with a condenser mic from foot away and tone match the pickup sound to that in the live mode.

Actually it's a piezo bridge pup in a Brian Moore solidbody electric. The pup itself doesn't sound too bad - just the typical twangy piezo sound. Almost "Ovation-ish".

Hello Spawn2031,

recently i tried TM my Acoustic guitar equipped with K&K mini pick up with a Earthworks SR25 mics, the results are awesome. Please listen it, NO MICS ONLY TONE MACH !!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vhx17pyyos3knp/MR CHET.mp3?dl=0

The secret is take a good reference of you guitar with a good mics.

Wow, sorry I let this thread drop dead. Been dealing with 2 kids under 2yrs old issues, lol. Anyway... same as the gent above me, is this link dead? I would love to check it out.

This one works for me. You'll have to tweak the compressor to taste. I have mine a little aggressive for a Rickenbacker 360/12 tone and can soften it if needed for other songs. I added a pitch block to also make it a 12 string.
All my PRS guitars are equipped with a Graphtech Complete Ghost System. The Piezos are great for Acoustic tones.

Attachments

• Piezo 12 String Preset 8.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Hello Spawn2031,

recently i tried TM my Acoustic guitar equipped with K&K mini pick up with a Earthworks SR25 mics, the results are awesome. Please listen it, NO MICS ONLY TONE MACH !!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vhx17pyyos3knp/MR CHET.mp3?dl=0

The secret is take a good reference of you guitar with a good mics.
Great acoustic guitar sound! That Earthworks SR25 looks like a very high quality mic.What brand & model is the acoustic did you use for this if you don't mind my asking?

Yes, of course, a Collings OM2H - sorry, I didn't pick up on that from the file name. Great guitar & tone. I never had a chance to play on a Collings but have heard good things about them. I will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to try it out on the AX8. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom