Acoustic Tone Match for Piezo

muudrock

Experienced
I've been trying to improve my piezo based acoustic sounds through the Axe 2 the last week or so for live use and recording. I play a Gibson Alex Lifeson Sig LP with a piezo bridge. I've tried tone matching the acoustic models in my Tyler Variax with moderate success but it never really translated as well as I'd hoped. Ideally, I don't want to change guitars for acoustic parts live because I love the LP and we try to keep the show moving. Anyway, I've been recording a friend of mine's daughter and she uses a Taylor 314 CE which has been a joy to record, it just sounds good. So the guitar was here, I took it and TM'd it. I use the TM inline with a stereo cab using 2 IRs--the "Tommy" IR from a guy on this board (don't remember who) and the Taylor IR that's been floating around for awhile here. I'm pleased overall with the results. I've used it live once and it is a big improvement over previous sounds direct to FOH. This combo responds like an acoustic under my fingers and is joy to play.
I recorded a very quick and dirty clip using this patch and doubled up the track with the same patch but with the pitch block engaged for a psuedo 12-string sound.
Straight into ProTools. The playing is nothing special and my ears are shot from a loud weekend so I hope it translates well. Feedback is appreciated.

I will upload the patch to Axechange later this evening when I get home.

I'm "the guy" on the board who uploaded Tommy. Thanks for the reference.
Are you panning the IRs hard in the your cab? I hear a bit of phase cancellation and wondered what your panning mode was.

Paztag, thanks for chiming in. The Tommy IR is a good one. The IRs in the cabinet are panned enter. I doubled the track with a pseudo 12 string sound so that's what you are hearing as far a phasing. Those 2 tracks are panned left and right and with the pitch block on there is a phased, chorus effect.

Sounds nice.

I just ordered a guitar with a piezo. Very eager to try some of the patches on axe exchange to get something I can gig with.

Back
Top Bottom