Acoustic to Electronic Drum Kit Conversion Project...

Very nice!. I think I'm gonna go do the same route but without the drilling. I intend to also use the kit acoustically sometimes. First I need to figure out what drum kit to get. I'm leaning towards the Tama Starclassic but I have to keep researching about maple vs bubinga etc. I'm not a drummer but I would really like to learn. :)

When you say "sometimes" I am not quite sure what you mean. It's not like you could flip a switch to toggle acoustic on/off. I could still use my kit acoustically but it would take replacing all the mesh heads with their original heads. The 1/4" jack (drilling) wouldn't have an effect on that. Replacing the mesh heads and retuning all the drums would be a major pain in the rear for an occasional use in my humble opinion.

Those Tama kits look cool. I chose the PDP kit based on a couple recommendations and the fact that it was only $650. They were offered in maple and birch. Supposedly maple is a warmer more sustaining tone and birch is a little sharper and less sustain. The wood choice has no relevance when converting it to an E-kit so one of my big reasons going with the PDP brand was the hardware.

Here is a cool video with Mick Fleetwood discussing wood and drum builds with the DW drums owner/rep. I was going to go the 24 carat gold plated hardware like he did but decided to buy a car instead. :)

Last edited:
Great job and your kit looks amazing. As a guitar player who took up drums earlier this year, you're going to have a blast. I've really benefited from the training programs on Drumeo.com - The Ultimate Online Drum Lessons Experience as well as their free videos on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/freedrumlessons. If you want to learn rock oriented techniques, Mike Michalkow's stuff is awesome.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I've just been really happy with their training system.

Great job and your kit looks amazing. As a guitar player who took up drums earlier this year, you're going to have a blast. I've really benefited from the training programs on Drumeo.com - The Ultimate Online Drum Lessons Experience as well as their free videos on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/freedrumlessons. If you want to learn rock oriented techniques, Mike Michalkow's stuff is awesome.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I've just been really happy with their training system.

Thanks for the compliments and the links. I will definitely check them out.

When you say "sometimes" I am not quite sure what you mean. It's not like you could flip a switch to toggle acoustic on/off. I could still use my kit acoustically but it would take replacing all the mesh heads with their original heads. The 1/4" jack (drilling) wouldn't have an effect on that. Replacing the mesh heads and retuning all the drums would be a major pain in the rear for an occasional use in my humble opinion.

Those Tama kits look cool. I chose the PDP kit based on a couple recommendations and the fact that it was only $650. They were offered in maple and birch. Supposedly maple is a warmer more sustaining tone and birch is a little sharper and less sustain. The wood choice has no relevance when converting it to an E-kit so one of my big reasons going with the PDP brand was the hardware.

Here is a cool video with Mick Fleetwood discussing wood and drum builds with the DW drums owner/rep. I was going to go the 24 carat gold plated hardware like he did but decided to buy a car instead. :)

Sounds good. I was just concerned that it would change the sound of the kit if I drill on the drum shells (I'm completely ignorant on these) so I'd rather not make any permanent changes to them, especially since some of the ones I'm eyeing are pretty expensive for me. I would probably use mine for heavy rock - metal but also for lighter music so I'm looking for a versatile one. Those DW drums are expensive! Anyway, good job, Keep it up!

Sounds good. I was just concerned that it would change the sound of the kit if I drill on the drum shells (I'm completely ignorant on these) so I'd rather not make any permanent changes to them, especially since some of the ones I'm eyeing are pretty expensive for me. I would probably use mine for heavy rock - metal but also for lighter music so I'm looking for a versatile one. Those DW drums are expensive! Anyway, good job, Keep it up!

I'm not so sure the 1/4" hole would have an effect but I would defer to an expert on that. There already is a 1/4" air vent hole on all the drums so I can't imagine one more doing anything drastic to the acoustic sound. You can always get the external clip on type triggers and avoid modding anything other than changing out the heads. And yeah, DW drums are insanely expensive. I chose the DW Asian PDP version because they had DW hardware on cheap-o drums and for my purposes the drums themselves weren't the priority. However, the PDP's are getting great reviews for their acoustic quality in the sub 1k price range. My whole project cost under 3k. Half of cost of the Roland kit I was considering. I'll chalk that up as win!

Got it all wired up and connected to the Ddrum DDTi trigger to MIDI I/O unit. The trigger I/O will connect to the macbook or mac pro via USB. I actually connected it to the laptop and started up SD2 Solo which is the stand alone version of SD2. I didn't program the trigger I/O at all but just wanted to hear some sounds. i had one trigger (floor tom) acting weird with false triggers in abundance. After a little troubleshooting I removed the mesh head and reseated the trigger wire and all was good.

Next step is to program the trigger I/O for Gain, Velocity Curve, Threshold, X-Talk, Retrigger, and Trigger Type. Then it's on to SD2 to choose kits and configurations. The trigger I/O can store up to 20 kits and of course SD2 can be configured thousands of ways. Should be fun.

Though hearing the sounds produced from the triggers through the I/O unit and laptop was fulfilling I cannot wait to move this all into the man cave and hook it up to the QU24 and CLR's.

LUXxJHz.jpg

Ru2dW9Q.jpg

What happened to this project? You were just getting to the good part. Does the DDTI module work well? Low latency? Please give an update...Thanks.

Wow... talk about thread resurection, What gives Craig ?

Wow, no kidding. :)

Ok, the drum kit is in the music room but to be honest it has kind of taken a back seat to other things going on. I am in the process of converting a walk in closet to a guitar room where I can hang my babies. I had to install a central air humidifier in the house since the average humidity here in the Vegas area is around 15%. I learned real quick that my Taylor acoustics in particular were not happy and I got tired of playing the daily guitar case humidifier refill routine. So that room should be finished just after the new year. I also bought a Chocolate Lab puppy and she has taken up a huge amount of my time. I had forgot how much energy a puppy has and how old I am and how much attention she requires.

So, now that the excuses are out of the way, I had one issue with the snare drum main trigger (it wasn't as sensitive as the others) but I resolved that by opening it up and reseating it. I found that it was not exactly parallel with the head and not quite high enough either. So that is all good. The Ddrum DDTI works great! I ran it into a Belkin Thunderbolt Dock Express then to a Mac Pro Late 2013 (you know, the cool looking cylinder one LOL). It's a screamer of a PC and can handle all my musical apps simultaneously.

So let's talk about the DDTI a little. It has to be configured. It is not plug and play and it took me some time to figure out. Briefly, and straight from the manual cause I am lazy (cut and paste) it has 6 global parameters that need to be addressed for each trigger. So in my case with the snare and floor tom drums having dual triggers and three of the cymbals also having dual triggers there were 14 to configure. That's 84 global parameters to set. Briefly:

Gain:
The Gain parameter describes how a trigger will react when it is engaged. With a high gain setting, you don’t have to engage the trigger very hard to achieve a maximum velocity output.

Velocity Curve:

A Velocity Curve describes how a trigger’s velocity varies with the force applied. This is a useful feature when trying to customize how a trigger responds to your playing style.

Threshold:

False triggering occurs when a trigger is engaged accidentally, often due to stage vibrations. The Threshold setting can help prevent false triggering.

X-Talk:

Crosstalk occurs when triggers in close proximity are falsely triggered. For example, when using acoustic drum triggers mounted on a drum kit, hitting a certain drum may cause the drums to vibrate and other triggers to trigger as well.

Retrigger:

The Retrigger setting describes how the DDTi interprets and outputs successive triggers from the same input. The Retrigger setting is the minimum amount of time between successive triggers needed to generate a second sound.

Trigger Type:

You can select the type of trigger you are using in the Trigger Type function. There are many different types of triggers available on the market today – too many to cover individually. (in my case all my triggers were Piezo/Piezo type or Piezo/Switch).

Note. There are pages on each trigger global parameter and I just gave you the first few sentences to give you an idea what the DDTI does. I was fortunate to have friends Joe (BigJoeDaddy) and Clive (UnsungHeroGuitars) who had done similar projects to lean on here. Joe supplied me with a spreadsheet of his settings and I was able to use that as a start and make minor changes that simply felt better to me. Here is the info they provided.

RKRuzbs.jpg

I had been testing all those parameters using Superior Drummer 2. I set up the most basic kit that matched my drums and cymbals. Tooontrack solo is a stand-alone application designed to host Toontrack samplers such as Superior Drummer 2.0 and EZdrummer. It is particularly suited for musicians wanting to jam along with a friend (real ones if you are a drummer or a virtual one if you are a guitarist), or to perform live (for your own pleasure or in front of an audience). It is simple to use by selecting the DDTI as your MIDI device and whatever your Audio destination is.

And that is where I left it. :)

Superior Drummer is a little daunting to the newbie like me. There are so many kits and so many parameters. I got mine in a package with two expansion packs so there are even more kits. I have found some comprehensive Excel spreadsheets showing the values for all the kits parameters and will dig in to those after the new year. I am not a drummer though I do find it fun to bang on them. One day I will check online and take some lessons but for now until I finish the guitar room this is where it stands. Close but not quite there.

And to answer the question that resurrected this thread, I do not notice any latency at all with my setup. :)

Last edited:
Haha, loved this thread!
biggrin.gif

With regard to latency, yes, there is some - there simply has to be given that the pad and the trigger module see a hit, converts the signal to a MIDI command, the host running Superior Drummer gets that MIDI command, assigns a sample related to the type / strength of MIDI command received, sends a sound out through soundcard / interface to speakers etc etc...

However, it all happens so damned quickly that only the player would notice and even then, in my experience of a number of drummers sitting behind such a kit for the first time, the period of adjustment is pretty quick
smile.gif

Oh and yes, just for clarity, the DDrum DDTi module is the same as the Alesis Trigger I/O

Back
Top Bottom