Acoustic through AX8

on my acoustic patch I tried some acoustic IR's in cab block block but ended up not liking it. I grabbed the acoustic preset that is in the AX kept the compressor and peq (which are bypassed). I added verb and delay and a filter block set to null just to boost my level.
I don't remember there being an acoustic preset???

Would you guys use some acoustic IR when using Variax acoustic model? What Ir would be useful with Variax?

It would help. I personally do not like the Variax acoustic models (I am not slamming line 6 as I love my Helix). To me they sound like what they are. Simulations. Fine for a live set if you don't want an acoustic up there but that's it. I also never understood why people always want acoustic amps added, Who actually uses acoustic amps except for the coffee house guy that also sings through it? Why do people want something that simulates an inferior way of acoustic PA? Acoustics always sound better direct or miked up (a blend of both). Now I understand using the AX8, but as stated with a little compression, and maybe a little eq or reverb if it fits the situation. You can also do cool stuff with a little chorus or phaser but that's more song specific.

Back to the Variax, I would try some of the free Taylor acoustic IR stuff out there. It might warm it up a bit.

With the Variax as with my Taylor 614CE, I don't use acoustic IR's. I use a PEQ with a little bit of low shelving and a mid bump, and sweeten it with a touch of warm reverb. With the Axe-FX, I'd use a Mixer to even out the volume balance; but with the AX8, I use a volume block to compensate for the volume.

Then, I took that and merged it with my vibroverb patch, so that I could switch from acoustic to electric by switching scenes which was required for theater gig I have right now that goes from acoustic to banjo to electric and back.

Last edited:
With the Variax as with my Taylor 614CE, I don't use acoustic IR's. I use a PEQ with a little bit of low shelving and a mid bump, and sweeten it with a touch of warm reverb. With the Axe-FX, I'd use a Mixer to even out the volume balance; but with the AX8, I use a volume block to compensate for the volume.

Then, I took that and merged it with my vibroverb patch, so that I could switch from acoustic to electric by switching scenes which was required for theater gig I have right now that goes from acoustic to banjo to electric and back.
Nice!

The second video was, but it was about using acoustic IRs with whatever processor you want. However as it was from Facebook I removed it, non-Facebook users can't see it

Back
Top Bottom