Acoustic through AX8

Frac-man

Trying to find some presets that sound great with my Taylor 914 acoustic. I use both on gigs my Strat electric and my Taylor I usually just go direct with the acoustic but want to try the AX8 out with

I would probably have a compressor block, tube-pre amp sim, and some GEQ for tweaking it how I want. Shove in a volume or filter block to boost levels if you can't get it to 0 on the VU meters.

I would probably have a compressor block, tube-pre amp sim, and some GEQ for tweaking it how I want. Shove in a volume or filter block to boost levels if you can't get it to 0 on the VU meters.

What he said. I also use a cab block with an IR of my acoustic guitar, captured on an Axe-FX II, and that really helps with the realism and virtually eliminates the piezo quack. If you have the ability to shoot an IR of your guitar, I can't recommend it enough.

What he said. I also use a cab block with an IR of my acoustic guitar, captured on an Axe-FX II, and that really helps with the realism and virtually eliminates the piezo quack. If you have the ability to shoot an IR of your guitar, I can't recommend it enough.
I have never done that before. Dont you need like a great mic for that?

That's an acoustic simulation - the OP wants something for his real acoustic.

I never used an IR with my acoustic. I think most of the available ones introduce too much phasing. But there are some great IRs for Taylor 914 available. Try to search for Taylor 914 in the forum.

With my acoustic , I just plug straight into Ax8 and use the FX I want and the tube pre amp model.

I know it's possible anyways, I'm sitting in a bar listening to a cover band with one axefx and one ax8. They both use them for their acoustics and they both sound awesome.

imho great acoustic tone comes from proper eq. The AX8 has plenty of eq available. Spend some time with the para -eq to get the tone you are looking for, then add desired effects- tube pre, delay or whatever.

imho great acoustic tone comes from proper eq. The AX8 has plenty of eq available. Spend some time with the para -eq to get the tone you are looking for, then add desired effects- tube pre, delay or whatever.
Is that para a model of some hardware?

I have never done that before. Dont you need like a great mic for that?

A great mic sure helps, but if you have access to even a decent mic, you might like it. I really dislike that piezo sound, so in my case I'd probably prefer an average (or worse) mic than the straight pickup.

I've had really good results with acoustic presets in my Axe 2 using just comp, EQ, sometimes the tube pre, and ex's if needed - BUT the tone matches I did of my Gibson J45 & Martin HD 28 and one of my friends' Martin D45 completely floored me.
I'd look into the TM's of your guitar or even better into making TMs of your guitar yourself if you have the equipment needed.

Load them in a cab block and play your acoustic (piezo out) through the patch. It should now sound like a mic'ed up Taylor acoustic - if it sound good it's good, if not move on.
Here is what went down... I did it and it sounded great at home with my laptop connected to the ax8 but when I got to gig the acoustic patch I made had no sound like it was no cab. I saw the name of the cad IR in the patch but nothing. I had no amp and no EG and no Comp on it I wonder if it was just so low it was gone. ???

Here is what went down... I did it and it sounded great at home with my laptop connected to the ax8 but when I got to gig the acoustic patch I made had no sound like it was no cab. I saw the name of the cad IR in the patch but nothing. I had no amp and no EG and no Comp on it I wonder if it was just so low it was gone. ???
Upload that preset and we can see if something is wrong.

on my acoustic patch I tried some acoustic IR's in cab block block but ended up not liking it. I grabbed the acoustic preset that is in the AX kept the compressor and peq (which are bypassed). I added verb and delay and a filter block set to null just to boost my level.

Would you guys use some acoustic IR when using Variax acoustic model? What Ir would be useful with Variax?

Back
Top Bottom