Acoustic Test - Opinions Welcome

WITELITE

Experienced
Looking for help on the best acoustic piezo guitar sound. There are two quick snippets of two tracks (Lewis And Clark, Mother Goose) played with the first IR and then with the second IR. Both are played on a Brian Moore custom equipped with an RMC piezo going into the right side of input 1 on the Axe.

Trying to dial in the best acoustic tone and wondering which you like best (if any) and any feedback to make them sound better.

Thanks

MM

Last edited:
Like the 2nd and 4th samples best, most natural and airy sounding to me. Nicely done.

Interesting. Samples 1 & 2 are with the first IR and 3 & 4 with the second IR. Appreciate the nice words. Trying to figure out which one of the two (or others) to go with

I think the key change throws us of the 1 2 3 4 thing. I am only listening through lap top speakers but the second (3, 4) part sounds a little more driven just a little heavier IMO.

I am still listening on lap top but I think the first part is a little cleaner. since that its your own match I would use it. Be proud off it. just saying!

Def dig 1 & 2. Nice work.

Thanks. I think I prefer 1&2 as it seems to have a little more low end but I'm probably biased (kind of like the fish you catch always taste better!). So most interested in more objective views.

MM

1 and 2 are nice and mellow—good if you're playing a solo set. But they won't cut in a mix. For that, you need the jangle of 3 and 4. Which is why Mr. Anderson tours with a parlor guitar: to keep the projection and lose the bottom end.

The second half sounds a lot more like an acoustic guitar. The first 2 have too much piezo character IMO. You can still tell that the second one is a piezo, but it doesn't stick out as much as the first.

I'm like you and prefer do make my own TMs (tend to stick to IRs I make myself too). I'd recommend trying a few different sources for your reference tone. Just because a recording sounds great, doesn't necessarily mean it will match to your guitar/pickup well. Also remember that tone matches are mono, so I'd also listen to each side of the recordings you want to match to on their own (i.e. muting the other side), to make sure you are matching to the side that sounds best. Personally I like to do a tone match of each side individually, then export them as IRs and have a stereo tone match (to do this you must record the local signal first). But that's a whole other experiment in itself. Good luck!

Last edited:
Watch out for reverb, too. If there's any 'verb on your reference recording, it'll change your tone match.

1 and 2 are nice and mellow—good if you're playing a solo set. But they won't cut in a mix. For that, you need the jangle of 3 and 4. Which is why Mr. Anderson tours with a parlor guitar: to keep the projection and lose the bottom end.

Great feedback. I actually had another one which solo sounded better but to your point got lost with the band!

The second half sounds a lot more like an acoustic guitar. The first 2 have too much piezo character IMO. You can still tell that the second one is a piezo, but it doesn't stick out as much as the first.

I'm like you and prefer do make my own TMs (tend to stick to IRs I make myself too). I'd recommend trying a few different sources for your reference tone. Just because a recording sounds great, doesn't necessarily mean it will match to your guitar/pickup well. Also remember that tone matches are mono, so I'd also listen to each side of the recordings you want to match to on their own (i.e. muting the other side), to make sure you are matching to the side that sounds best. Personally I like to do a tone match of each side individually, then export them as IRs and have a stereo tone match (to do this you must record the local signal first). But that's a whole other experiment in itself. Good luck!

Thanks! Actually, your tone match from awhile back was my favorite. But it was in stereo and given that this is one half of a mag/piezo preset, I was taxing the CPU too much. I guess you don't have a mono hi res one ??

Back
Top Bottom