Acoustic sound for shredding

Savrot

Hello! I want to record acoustic guitar but I'm playing it like it was an electric guitar, meaning: think John Petrucci solos but on a acoustic guitar. I'm having trouble making it sound good to be honest. I'm going from the acoustic guitar straight to the axe fx, and I would like to have a preset where I can just plug and play.
The goal is to be able to record old shred pieces but on a acoustic, so the preset most go well together with other backing guitars.

I have limited knowledge on how to make good sounds with the axe fx, hence why I'm coming to you guys. What should the signal chain be? Any tips? Presets?

Can't help with tweaking tips but you may want to check out two related bands (shared members) from the 90's: Tantric, and Days Of The New. Not sure if you can find anything about their gear, but they had an amazing heavy tone on acoustics, their signature sound.

I don’t know which Ampblock you want to use, but try to increase the negative feedback and/or the input trim (slightly) and get the MBC block in your setup (set to taste). Also, some tonestacks work better than others for this, so experiment. You might want to give the Triaxis tonestack a go regardless, surprisingly useful in this situation.

Can't help with tweaking tips but you may want to check out two related bands (shared members) from the 90's: Tantric, and Days Of The New. Not sure if you can find anything about their gear, but they had an amazing heavy tone on acoustics, their signature sound.
Interesting, I totally see what you mean. This will be more relevant when I'm adding more instruments. For now, I'm aiming for just acoustic guitars. Thanks for the recommendations :)

I don’t know which Ampblock you want to use, but try to increase the negative feedback and/or the input trim (slightly) and get the MBC block in your setup (set to taste). Also, some tonestacks work better than others for this, so experiment. You might want to give the Triaxis tonestack a go regardless, surprisingly useful in this situation.
I'm using the one that Copper used in the video "tube pre". As of now on the amp, the negative feedback is 0. What should I set it to? And what does it do?

I have a MBC block, but I copied Coppers settings for the rythmn and just added a new one with he basic settings for the lead (which didn't yield great results unfortunately). I don't have any experience working with a MBC so I'm kind of shooting in the dark when tweaking it

To further show my ignorance, I don't know what a tonestack is...

I appreciate that you took the time to answer, and I apologize for the bombardment of questions. I'm trying to learn :oops:

I'm using the one that Copper used in the video "tube pre". As of now on the amp, the negative feedback is 0. What should I set it to? And what does it do?

I have a MBC block, but I copied Coppers settings for the rythmn and just added a new one with he basic settings for the lead (which didn't yield great results unfortunately). I don't have any experience working with a MBC so I'm kind of shooting in the dark when tweaking it

To further show my ignorance, I don't know what a tonestack is...

I appreciate that you took the time to answer, and I apologize for the bombardment of questions. I'm trying to learn :oops:
No problem,
I could go into the whole technical aspects of negative feedback, but that might not be necessary.

The sonic effects of increased NF are, roughly, a more pronounced upfront tone with a little less gain and thickness. The Input Trim will on the other hand increase gain, so you should balance these two out a bit (to taste).
For an acoustic sound the result will be a more cutting, defined and clearer overall tone.

Regarding the MBC, look up a video by Leon Todd on YT. His go-to setting seems to work fine in most occasions.

If you want to know what a tonestack is and does, maybe better Google it. In the Amp block you can switch out different tonestacks, see Axe Wiki on where to find it. And just use your ears. If it sounds good to you, then that’s the stack you should go with.

These are just someone my “tricks” when shredding acoustic. I’m sure other forum members have other tricks up their sleeve for this.

And remember, getting to know the FA products is a journey, but a rewarding one. I have been on board since 2008 and every time I think I really get the hang of things, somebody like Cooper, Todd, Simeon, Yek or Moke comes along and I think “WTF” (Well, That Figures 😀)….

Back
Top Bottom