Acoustic Simulator - Why None?

It would be nice to have but the Axe is an amp modeler and not an acoustic guitar modeler. Don't take that wrong, I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

I'm kind of surprised the Variax Acoustic didn't stick around longer than it did. It actually had some pretty decent sounds in it. The virtual capo thing was pretty cool. The hex pickup made for quite convincing 12 string sims too. To me the hardest part of an acoustic simulator is getting rid of the piezo quack. The attack from those thinks is usually pretty nasty compared to a nice acoustic. A real acoustic can be very bright but still is very rarely harsh sounding unlike piezo pickups.

To me the hardest part of an acoustic simulator is getting rid of the piezo quack. The attack from those thinks is usually pretty nasty compared to a nice acoustic.
Put a notch filter around 7KHz in your signal path. Play with frequency, gain and Q to find what works best with your particular piezo pickup.

Even with an IR the quality of the acoustic simulation very much depends on the guitar used. Ideally the IR should be shot using the guitar you're planning to use it for. This is different compared to amp sims that are supposed to reflect the sound of your guitar. This is most likely the reason there's no acoustic guitar simulator as it is impossible to hide the guitar sound except through using samples.

I am sorry, but the Boss Acoustic Simulator is crap. It is simple filtering, and it sounds like it. There is so much more depth (including phasing and first internal reflections) embedded in a properly recorded IR.

This is me playing my strat through an acoustic simulation on the AX8.
The preset can be bought at Mokes http://www.custompresets.com/store/...ulator!!_-_For_Single-Coil_Pickups_(AX8).html

It seems that the only problem OP has with using IRs is that it will not allow him to turn off cab modelling globally - I get that it is a nuisance, but it should not be the end of the world.

I forgot I recorded this a while back on the AX8 using one of the acoustic IR's floating around.

I would still love an acoustic simulator, what you can do with the Boss GP-10 is on another level IMHO, but good results can be had with the AX8.

All three of these examples sound pretty darn authentic even in a solo context. I imagine that they would be even more convincing in a band/ensemble setting. And given how much variety there is between different acoustics (and how they're mic'd), there are plenty of options at our disposal. I use Moke's preset and with a little tweaking for my specific setup is quite usable, and I also have a couple of other acoustic patches I've used to great effect. BTW, the middle pup on my 513 works really well for me with ac sims.

I used to use the AC Sim on my Boss GT-8 and never really liked it other than that it gave me a different tonality to contrast the acoustic parts of our songs. But I never really thought it sounded like an acoustic. Might have to borrow my buddy's GT8 to see how it sounds to me now...

<insert customary apology for the playing>

Here's my contribution to the fauxcoustic fray...

Super simple preset... COMP > CAB > EQ > ENHANCE > REVERB

Pickup: Neck humbucker
Cab: Taylor 314ce - Neumann U87
There's an optional gate after the reverb if you want to clean up the trails.

Attachments

• Acoustic Faux U.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Taylor 314ce - Neumann U87_R.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 57
Well...I'd love a true modeling of an acoustic (and nylon string) guitar. If you've played around with the Boss/Roland/Line 6 guitar modeling the results are far more realistic than what is possible with just EQ and an IR. That said, there are certainly usable results attainable going the EQ/IR route.

Would you gladly share some example?

OK guys - REMEMBER that I want my cabinet modeling to be set GLOBALLY to OFF. I assume in that case I cannot use a cab block or IR, as they will be bypassed.

OK guys - REMEMBER that I want my cabinet modeling to be set GLOBALLY to OFF. I assume in that case I cannot use a cab block or IR, as they will be bypassed.
Remove the CAB block from your presets where you don't need it? Problem solved.

Would you gladly share some example?

I no longer have the GP-10 and don't have a proper demo that I recorded. However, there's a guy that does GP-10 presets who created a bunch of fantastic Nylon string patches of which a great demo can be watched at the below link. The key I think is they way they model the attack which I don't believe can be done with just an IR. Might be able to create some attack envelops on the AX8 to get closer, but not sure.

Well, there's the disconnect.

The GP-10 uses a hexaphonic pickup and synthesis techniques to do it's thing. Fractal products don't do synthesis. If you want a polyphonic guitar synth, you'll need to use a polyphonic guitar synth.

Reactions: Rex
So essentially this thread comes down to 1) I want product A to do something that product X, Y, or Z does, because product A should be able to replace everything else on the market 2) while there are some pretty good solutions to make product A able to achieve a similar result, they are too much work and it should just be there at the turn of a knob, and 3) it would be nice if there was a way to magically make product A function in a manner totally outside what it designed to do.

Its got to be a rather thankless job being Cliff Chase I'm sure

So essentially this thread comes down to 1) I want product A to do something that product X, Y, or Z does, because product A should be able to replace everything else on the market 2) while there are some pretty good solutions to make product A able to achieve a similar result, they are too much work and it should just be there at the turn of a knob, and 3) it would be nice if there was a way to magically make product A function in a manner totally outside what it designed to do.

Its got to be a rather thankless job being Cliff Chase I'm sure

Thanks for the total simplification of the issue, and making it combatant when it was meant to be suggestive. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is I do not want to change EVERY SINGLE PATCH (hundreds) to turnoff the cabinet block just to have ONE patch be able to emulate an acoustic. There are times when I'm NOT playing through a cabinet that I want them on again, so then I would have to go through hundreds of patches to turn them all on again. This is not just a "turn of the knob". This is an unworkable solution.

Yes I could buy an external acoustic simulator and run it through the effects loop, which is what I'll probably do, but I was just making the suggestion of just including one in the unit. I mean, this is an multi-effect processor - it's NOT unreasonable to have an acoustic simulator in a multi-effects processor, as MOST of them do. I was just wondering if there was some TECHNICAL reason why this couldn't be done specific to the AX8. THAT is my suggestion / question.

To me the hardest part of an acoustic simulator is getting rid of the piezo quack. The attack from those thinks is usually pretty nasty compared to a nice acoustic. A real acoustic can be very bright but still is very rarely harsh sounding unlike piezo pickups.

Agree

I use the fishman aura pedal for this. Very compact and sounds great

Moke's emulation recording (aside from the GP-10, which is not synthesis btw) is the only one that sounds remotely like a real acoustic. Great work Moke.

Back
Top Bottom