Acoustic Simulator - Why None?

I think it would make sense, if Fractal added a few acoustic sim IRs to the factory cabs.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy with @Moke s offerings, but a passable acoustic simulation, was one of the first things I searched for after getting the AX8. I think, it would make sense, if one or two options were available in the box.

I'd say it's rather impossible to build THE acoustic simulator. Even with Mokes presets the results vary depending on the guitar you're using.

I turn off cabinet modeling in my presets because I like the sound of amps through as real guitar cabinet. As such, I was looking for an acoustic simulator as an EFFECT, not as an IR. Most other multi-effects units have this. Seems like something that should be part of the Axe FX / AX8. To me it's a big omission. Yes, I could run an external one through the effects loop, but that another pedal with 2 patch cords which I'm trying to avoid.

You could just use a cab block with your external cab. It will not sound any worse than any other acoustic or acoustic simulation through a guitar cab.

A good acoustic ir and eq can make at least as good, if not better acoustic simulator than the pedals you can buy. and cab modeling is an effect :)

I turn off cabinet modeling in my presets because I like the sound of amps through as real guitar cabinet. As such, I was looking for an acoustic simulator as an EFFECT, not as an IR. Most other multi-effects units have this. Seems like something that should be part of the Axe FX / AX8. To me it's a big omission. Yes, I could run an external one through the effects loop, but that another pedal with 2 patch cords which I'm trying to avoid.
The effect you seek is an IR. That's what acoustic simulator effects do for the most part. That and some PEQ.

Although to use an acoustic IR in one preset, you'll need to make sure cab modeling is turned on globally. Simply omit the cab block in other presets.

That seems like an awful lot of work to turn off the cab modeling in EVERY OTHER PRESET except the ONE preset that emulates an acoustic guitar. An acoustic simlulator effect would be a much more eloquent solution.

It would be more eloquent, of course, but what you complain about is really not convincing. Is it important to you that the effect is NAMED "Acoustic Simulator" rather than "Cab"? The name "Cab" is misleading btw, the block should rather be named "IR", but since most of the time it's being used as a cab simulator the name "Cab" makes sense for the Axe. Still, just use the cab block, load a good IR, use a little EQ and be done with it.

Because an acoustic simulator effect is readily had with an acoustic guitar IR and some EQ.

See the preset packs from @Moke or @fremen for examples.

Well...I'd love a true modeling of an acoustic (and nylon string) guitar. If you've played around with the Boss/Roland/Line 6 guitar modeling the results are far more realistic than what is possible with just EQ and an IR. That said, there are certainly usable results attainable going the EQ/IR route.

Well...I'd love a true modeling of an acoustic (and nylon string) guitar. If you've played around with the Boss/Roland/Line 6 guitar modeling the results are far more realistic than what is possible with just EQ and an IR.

Very true. It takes more than an IR/EQ to get the results you can get with a decent acoustic simulator effect. An IR can capture body resonance, but not the jangly/phasing interaction of the strings. Some chorus can help though.

Well...I'd love a true modeling of an acoustic (and nylon string) guitar. If you've played around with the Boss/Roland/Line 6 guitar modeling the results are far more realistic than what is possible with just EQ and an IR. That said, there are certainly usable results attainable going the EQ/IR route.
Yes, I am familiar with acoustic emulators. The AC-2 is an all-analog circuit. Looks like a set of selectable EQ filters to me. You? How is that "true" anything? My friend Mark has a nice take on the AC-2 circuit that sounds decent. And, surprise, is just a set of filters on the low and high frequency content.

Everything you need to do what these beloved pedals do is there in spades in the Fractal hardware. And then you can combine it with an IR and go well beyond what something like the AC-2 does.

Very true. It takes more than an IR/EQ to get the results you can get with a decent acoustic simulator effect.
No, it does not. See my post above for what "a decent acoustic simulator" is comprised of.

Back
Top Bottom