Wish Acoustic Simulator Block

This has been discussed to death on the forum. Do a search. You can build a better simulatedacoustic sound with an EQ and a CAB block in the III than any crummy Boss pedal has ever delivered.

@Moke and @fremen both have amazing acoustic patches in their preset packs. I suggest starting there.
I did a search with this subject and another variant and nothing came up.

I did a search with this subject and another variant and nothing came up.
Yeah, the "make my electric sound like an acoustic" thing is in there, but for a long time it wasn't really called out prominently.

I've had an Axe II for years; I found out about Moke's presets like, last week or something. Oh, well!

But that's not laying blame on the forum or on Fractal. I think it's just that most folks are looking for a BLOCK named "Elec2Acou" or something. It doesn't immediately occur to folks to think, "Fractal needn't have built this as a block type in their product; instead, someone else will make an IR that does the trick and offer it in the community."

This is where you have to track down the "User-Created Resources" which add so much value to Fractal Products. I'd have never been able to emulate a Klon if I hadn't found Yek's guide to Drive Pedals, which tells you how to get that sound.

Likewise Moke's work on the Acoustic Simulations.

It's a community thing.

The Ultimate way to make an acoustic simulator is to use the Tone Match block. Take the electric guitar you want to use and plug into the instrument input as usual. Take the acoustic guitar you want to match and plug that into one of the other inputs (via a mic and preamp if needed). Set the TMA block to that input as the reference.

Method 1:
Have a friend play one of the guitars while you play the other. Press Start Both. Play the exact same thing together and something with a lot of harmonic density. Big chords up and down the neck. You can simply play an E barre chord starting at the 12th fret and moving down one fret one each beat. Let the final open E ring out and press Match.

Method 2:
If you don't have any friends (because you're socially awkward or don't shower enough perhaps) press Start Reference and play the acoustic guitar for a while using the instructions above. Press Stop Reference. Repeat for the electric. Then press Match.

Export the match to an IR, if desired, or save the preset for future use.

If you don't have an acoustic guitar or a mic/preamp search for isolated acoustic guitar tracks on teh interwebz and use those as a reference. Play them into the TMA block by selecting one of the USB channels as a reference.

The one-size-fits-all acoustic simulator doesn't work all that well because the "signature" of electric guitars varies so widely.

FWIW, this can also be used to match your electric guitar to another electric guitar.

Pretty much every time I’ve thought “the Axe can’t do this effect, this tone etc” it always ends up that the axe can in fact do it, and I just didn’t know how to achieve it.

I’ve found the resonator block can add a little bit more mojo than the tone match alone. I googled a while back and some common resonant freqs are around a440 and around an octave up and change.

FWIW, this can also be used to match your electric guitar to another electric guitar.

I did this to "Les-Paulify" my Strat just to have another base sound at hand. And I tone-matched my electric guitar to a dobro. Sounds kind of weird but works stunning well. You match, however, only the static spectrum, not the dynamic behaviour, ADSR etc.

Back
Top Bottom