Acoustic Simulation Question

deakle

Experienced
So I am going to undertake creating a preset to simulate an acoustic with a humbucker equipped guitar. I am going to use the Tone Match block and a short recorded track of my acoustic guitar for my reference signal. My question is this: what amps should I consider using that would be beneficial to this? Or does it really matter? Is achieving the acoustic simulation more about the Tone Match block, proper eq and compression? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

There are a number of points to hit here. But the first is this... are you aware that the AX8 doesn't have tone-match capability, on its own?
What many of us who own both an AX8 and also an AxeFx2 have done is make the tone-match on the AxeFx, and then export the tone-match as a Cab. Then, of course, you can load that cab into your AX8, and go from there. An advantage of doing that is that you can use the Cab block's parameters to further tweak and enhance the tone-match you made.

Once you have the tone match, it will sound more authentic without an amp block. Just add some compression, eq, and boost the signal level as required. I find a little bit of hi cut is needed to tame acoustic TM's

Once you have the tone match, it will sound more authentic without an amp block. Just add some compression, eq, and boost the signal level as required. I find a little bit of hi cut is needed to tame acoustic TM's

Looks like he has an Axe-FX III... Can't say I know enough to help you; wish I did... I am just learning all this!

PaulAsbell.com and PaulAbell.com! That is crazy!

Woops! Was not aware of that on the AX8. I will try exporting as a Cab from my Axe III. May not be able to do that either, still experimenting with the Axe III. Sorry for the dumb question but I am new to the AX8. I started using it while waiting on the Axe III as I sold my XL+ to fund the Axe III and picked up an AX8 in an unbelievable deal! Thanks for the help and putting up with my dumb question.

You should be able to export from the 3, I've only done it using axe edit with the 2 though. Another option for ax8 only users, there is software you can use to create TM IR's outside of fractal products, then just load like a user cab. Can't recall the name of the software but shouldn't be hard to find

Woops! Was not aware of that on the AX8. I will try exporting as a Cab from my Axe III. May not be able to do that either, still experimenting with the Axe III. Sorry for the dumb question but I am new to the AX8. I started using it while waiting on the Axe III as I sold my XL+ to fund the Axe III and picked up an AX8 in an unbelievable deal! Thanks for the help and putting up with my dumb question.

Share it when you get it all figured out... I am still trying to learn my III, as well, but so far, it is very easy to understand!

As was mentioned above, I think you'll find best results if you do without the amp block and even the IR block.
Good luck.

You should be able to export from the 3, I've only done it using axe edit with the 2 though. Another option for ax8 only users, there is software you can use to create TM IR's outside of fractal products, then just load like a user cab. Can't recall the name of the software but shouldn't be hard to find

This is a little off topic, but, its @AlGrenadine 's Fractool the software you're talking about? if for example i have an axe FX 2 preset that includes a TM block AND a cab block...can i use the TM block as a cab block in the AX8 and expect the same "sound"?? maybe not o_O...i'am new with Fractal and i only have an AX8.

Thank you!

This is a little off topic, but, its @AlGrenadine 's Fractool the software you're talking about? if for example i have an axe FX 2 preset that includes a TM block AND a cab block...can i use the TM block as a cab block in the AX8 and expect the same "sound"?? maybe not o_O...i'am new with Fractal and i only have an AX8.

Thank you!

No. You need an AxeFx to convert a TM block into a cab block.

Moke's Acoustic Simulator preset is GOLD
You can do it yourself, yet the time to get ALL the parameters, mixing, Tone Match this to that, then transfer.

Just buy it and be done. Seriously, I have been using it for a while, with hum bucker equipped Suhr's. EXCELLENT!!

Let us know how it turns out. I've tried it before, but have never been satisfied with tone matching (I'm sure I was just doing something wrong). I use the awesome acoustic simulator preset made by @Moke - well worth the money spent - https://www.custompresets.com/store/p34/Moke's_'Acoustic_Simulator'_V3.2_-_For_Humbucker_Pickups_(AX8).html

Just an FYI , I believe Moke has a patch for AX8 that simulates acoustic. It sounds incredible. Maybe no need to re-invent the wheel.

https://www.custompresets.com/store/p34/Moke's_'Acoustic_Simulator'_V3.2_-_For_Humbucker_Pickups_(AX8).html

Moke's Acoustic Simulator preset is GOLD
You can do it yourself, yet the time to get ALL the parameters, mixing, Tone Match this to that, then transfer.

Just buy it and be done. Seriously, I have been using it for a while, with hum bucker equipped Suhr's. EXCELLENT!!

Thanks for the mentions guys:cool:... I've spent a ridiculous amount of time on that one over the past year or so. The newest version 3.2 is the best so far (IMHO). I don't think that I'll ever be done working on it, so hopefully it will continue to improve?

Edit.... Made a few minor tweaks to the GEQ block this week based on live use. I'm testing it at a live show this Friday. Probably a V3.3 coming out next week?

Last edited:
I'm brand new here and am in the investigation phase of my purchase. I intend to use my FX8 with an acoustic and Impulse Response files that transform the quaky piezo tone into that of a Martin D-28 mic'd through a U87, for example. 3 Sigma offers some amazing IRs that sound incredible.
Just a thought.

I don't think, you can load Impulse Responses onto FX8

But I use my AX8 with my acoustic all the time. The effects sound stellar, and the ability to load IRs just takes it over the top.

EDIT: I agree that Moke's acoustic simulation is fantastic. I also use it all the time.

Yes @Moke has the best presets I have ever heard! They are stellar and well, well worth the price! I have the acoustic simulation and love it! I am just trying to learn more for my own use about building presets. Love, Love this forum! Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom