Acoustic Patch (not simulation)

Nozkcb

Inspired
I've posted this in the discussion thread related to a question about acoustic guitar setup. Sorry if I'm breaking a rule by posting it here too but, after I made the original post, I thought this might actually be a better place to put it.

I use the AX8 for both electric and acoustic. I use the FX loop in for the acoustic guitar input, and the electric (of course) is using the guitar in.

Here's a patch I mostly use with my Martin OM-28 with an Anthem pickup/mic system. I'm using a few different eqs to give me different tone options based on finger style, vs strumming, etc. I also use an old (97) Taylor 314 with an Fishman preamp in it, and being able to switch eqs helps make both acoustics work (pretty well). I've also added compression, light delay and reverb to sweeten the sound which are saved in scenes.

If someone finds is useful, let me know.

Note: I've notched a few problem frequencies out based on my live setup (AX8 through a Mackie SRM550). You might need/want to tweak those notched out frequencies for your setup.

Attachments

• 15-5_Acoustic 2.0.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 336
Thanks. Will take a look. I have a Taylor T5z. I am trying to come up with something that makes it sound well in its acoustic positions. It sounds pretty nice as a semi hollow electric (think Ted Nugent). Direct to pa it is pretty decent but with one output (unless I want to slit it) it would be nice to come up with something for it. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Updated Patch:

I've done some more eq tweaking to this patch and added a Filter Block to notch out 110 hz (5th/A string) a bit to control feedback. I also pulled down some of the >2k highs to reduce the crystalline pick attack a bit.

Again, let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Acoustic 2.1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 193
I use the AX8 for both electric and acoustic. I use the FX loop in for the acoustic guitar input, and the electric (of course) is using the guitar in.

Sorry to ask such a rookie question, but how do you get the Ax8 to pick up the FX loop in? I tried my acoustic through there but I can't get it to work. The reason I'm wondering this is actually because I'm working on my own acoustic patch and currently I'm noticing that the "fx send clip" LED is lighting up very frequently. I've had to resort to turning the patch down to -20dB for it to not happen, but I'm sure that's not the proper solution... sorry to go off on a tangent here! I'm still an amateur at this ha.

Sorry to ask such a rookie question, but how do you get the Ax8 to pick up the FX loop in? I tried my acoustic through there but I can't get it to work. The reason I'm wondering this is actually because I'm working on my own acoustic patch and currently I'm noticing that the "fx send clip" LED is lighting up very frequently. I've had to resort to turning the patch down to -20dB for it to not happen, but I'm sure that's not the proper solution... sorry to go off on a tangent here! I'm still an amateur at this ha.
I would suggest downloading and installing my Acoustic 2.1 syx (patch) to see how I've structured it with the FXLoop block within AX8 Edit program.

This way you can see how it was built and also see the settings used.

Attachments

• Acoustic 2.1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 109
I would suggest downloading and installing my Acoustic 2.1 syx (patch) to see how I've structured it with the FXLoop block within AX8 Edit program.

That's probably the most sensible idea! Thank you very much.

Thanks for posting these presets. I Also sometimes use my AX8 for processing a real acoustic in addition to emulating acoustics on an electric guitar. So far I have not tried going in through the FX loop input for anything, but it is something I need to experiment with. This will give me a golden opportunity to do that. I also will let you know how I like your preset(s) when I have had a chance to check them out.

I play a couple of acoustic numbers using the AX8 too and like to see what others are constructing. Thanks for sharing. Once I get my preset up to scratch I might return the favour.

Can you break this out to blks for us FX8 guys to try?
Thx.

Try doing a best-of-both-worlds approach and blend under saddle with studio mic recording.
  • Record your acoustic with a good studio mic, then tone match your acoustic to that recording and blend the tone match back into your preset.
  • If you can't record your guitar, then use another recording of a miced up acoustic that sounds similar to yours unplugged. Tone match that and blend it in.
Blend at maybe 10-30%, maybe more. Whatever sounds best live. I think you'll like it if you get the tone match right.

Last edited:
Here's the latest version of the Acoustic patch.

Note: I'm using EFX Loop for the input instead of the standard input on the AX8. This is because I use both an acoustic (EFX loop input) and Electric (Standard input) when playing live, and use the patch with it's respective routing to control what guitar is being processed.

Attachments

• Acoustic 2.1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 95
Here's the latest version of the Acoustic patch.

Note: I'm using EFX Loop for the input instead of the standard input on the AX8. This is because I use both an acoustic (EFX loop input) and Electric (Standard input) when playing live, and use the patch with it's respective routing to control what guitar is being processed.

I like this. I added the Tube Pre and now I have a new preset for my acoustic gig. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom