Acoustic IR's for Violin. Fishman Aura vs Axe

Gavriel

Hey everyone,
I'm a session violin/viola player in Nashville looking to take my live performance to the next level. Does anyone have experience with bowed instrument IRs on the Axe or Fishman Aura? I'm completely fed up with my crappy Piezo sound! Cost isn't an issue here obviously :D

I play upright bass, and I've experimented with making an IR of my miked bass. There are a number of threads on here about doing the same for acoustic guitars, and I found it was just about as effective. Creating an IR "mask" of your miked instrument to place onto your piezo signal brings the sound much closer to a miked sound and drastically improves that awful piezo tone. Still not quite the same as a mic, though, and since I have a bass mic mounted on my bass, I've gone back to using that. However, if I didn't have the mic, I would totally be using the IR method, which is what I do with my acoustic guitar.

I don't have any experience using the Aura, but the Axe does this very well. Plus, it's *your* instrument that is in the IR, and not a similar one (unless the Aura can do that, too?). However, you're still limited by how good of mics you have available to do a tonematch IR and how good your mic placement technique is.

I have tried the violins and violas IRs on my guitar and it maked it sound very authentic when i use my volume knob, it will do wonders with a real violin/viola.

Back
Top Bottom