Acoustic Holy Sh*tballs!!

Hey man! My Taylor is an older 714CE with the Fishman electronics. (Not the newer "expression" system) and it's dead quiet. No hum. Sounds like you might have a short somewhere? Would love to hear the new WCRs, you'll have to record something and post it, or email it to me. :)

I have an 814ce with the expression system. I've never had any hum out of it.

I'm actually loving playing my acoustic through my Axe-FX at the moment. Same as you, a simple path of:

Tube Pre -> Cab (gtrbody) -> Filter -> Delay -> Reverb

Lately I've been experimenting with the delay block for some added ambience and depth to the tone. I just re-recorded this track tonight with the Axe-FX II (Note: I ran it through a compressor for post processing, but all effects are from the Axe-FX). Single guitar, one take.

I used my Maton ECW80C with the internal Maton AP5 pickup (no external mics). Just did one take. Apologies for the clams.

I was playing with the stereo delay, but I think I need to tweak it more to add more stereo width to the delays. Many thanks to member @simeon on here for some great tips on the delay block. I will keep working this song and post the final result when I am happy with it.

Clams? I hear lovely tone, nice structure, and sensitive playing!

Couple other tips: you don't need the tube pre, and try the multiband compressor. You can make up the gain loss without the tube pre by raising level in the MBC, CHO, PEQ, RVB blocks and at the layout output page.

Tube pre was first thing I tried back 2007-2008, but with a decent acoustic you don't need it. Because it colors (adds a lot of mids), the tube pre doesn't reflect the voice of your unplugged acoustic.

I've achieved a more accurate and expressive acoustic tone with GEQ for tone shaping and PEQ for notching feedback at loud gigs. Global PEQ is good for creating per-venue PEQ "presets" (in a work-around sort of way). The MBC helps reign in the dynamics and also helps with tone-shaping of soft/loud playing dynamics. It adds some extra sauce.

If I have time, I'll throw up a clip of mine, but I process two signals: undersaddle pickup and internal min-microphone, kind of like the old Fishman Blender but far superior tone and control. It's also dialed more for live use than studio.

I also plug the acoustic into input 2 FX return and use the FXL block. This lets me change guitars on the fly without unplugging/plugging cables and without the acoustic in the signal chain (feeding back) while I use electric. If input selection were at the patch level instead of global, I could use input 1 rear and have a tuner (pitch detection), a violin (pitch detection), effects that respond to dynamics (envelope follower) and more. But that hasn't come off the wish list yet. Search "patch assignable inputs"

Back
Top Bottom