Acoustic Guitar thru FM3 at Gig Volume -- Any Feedback Problems?

vika12

Experienced
I have an acoustic gig coming up in a few weeks. I have put together a couple of acoustic guitar presets that I like, but I have not had an opportunity to test them at gig volume. I plan to run Output 1 to FOH and Output 2 into my FRFR wedge.

For those who've gigged with an acoustic through the FM3, have you had any feedback problems and, if so, how have you solved them? Thank you!

It didn't make my feedback problems any worse than they were before I was using the FM3.

One thing that was great running it through the FM3 was I could use a PEQ block in notch filter mode with a really narrow Q to nuke some bad bands that were driving the feedback.

Last edited:
You def want to have a sound hole cover with you. Whether you’ll need it depends on the room. But do not gig without one.
Thanks -- can you recommend one (I've hear that some can damage the finish around the sound hole)

I bought a sound hole cap and built a very clean preset. Brought my acoustic to practice and there was just no way to play it without it howling. Small room, loud everything. Maybe in a larger space it would have worked.

I bought a sound hole cap and built a very clean preset. Brought my acoustic to practice and there was just no way to play it without it howling. Small room, loud everything. Maybe in a larger space it would have worked.
Bummer

It didn't make my feedback problems any worse than they were before I was using the FM3.

One thing that was great running it through the FM3 was I could use a PEQ block in notch filter mode with a really narrow Q to nuke some bad bands that were driving the feedback.

In all my acoustic patches I have a PEQ near the beginning of the chain specifically for feedback control. I keep a tab open on my phone web browser to a note-frequency chart so I can find the offending note's frequency and kill it with a high-Q peaking band in the PEQ block.

The FM3 wouldn’t create any feedback compared to the guitar direct to the board. Unless you use blocks which increase gain or similar that an acoustic usually doesn’t have.

The FM3 wouldn’t create any feedback compared to the guitar direct to the board. Unless you use blocks which increase gain or similar that an acoustic usually doesn’t have.
I'd only use wah, cab, chorus, delay and / or reverb ...

On my acoustic gigs, I use in ears and as long as I am not too close to the mains and/or to the side or in front of the mains, even a little bit, in other words, the mains are out in the front of the stage, I usually had no feedback whatsoever, even with sound hole NOT covered. But of course, you spoke of a wedge, just a suggestion in case you have access to in ears.

Back
Top Bottom