Acoustic Guitar Recording Mics Vs. Tone Matched Direct Piezzo out/Advice needed

unFILTERed

Power User
I have a decent pre amp and 2 Mics (Neumann TLM 103 and AKG C1000s...)

My question is: would it make sense to tone match my guitars piezzo out to mic recording. only reason i wanna do this is to stop setting up mics and plus cos of the noise bleeding in the recordings
if some one is loud in the house...

i know i can try and check out my self but wanted to see if anyone has done it and have any ideas...

Usually I use 2 mics and piezo, record 3 tracks and then I mix them. Once I used also a mic in the back of the recording room to pick up room noise (musical noise ;) ) because the artist used his guitar also as a percussive instruments and the room was very well treated.

If you get you acoustic miced "perfect" to you, then it would make sense to tone match it, so you have that tone instantly available both in live and recording scenarioes

ok i tried it yesterday, unfortunately the tonematched piezzo sound was not as satisfying as mic recording...for live its definately cool but unless i am doing smth wrong its not smth u can use on a commercial recording

I've tried it and basically the microphones always sounded better when recording in my studio. I do the same as Diego with two mics and my Taylor ES pickup. Use mostly the mic channels with a bit of ES to flavor it.
In my experience tonematching is great for live performance to get a reasonably good acoustic tone from the piezo.

you may get better results if you do a "live" tonematch. a bit more complicated to set up, but really worth the effort. you need to be able to feed the mic'ed up sound into the axe and match the piezo to it at the same time

Not that I have any idea what I'm doing, but I wouldn't use just a piezo for recording acoustic guitar. I've had decent results mixing some piezo in with a mic.

simeon, i tried it but didnt get what i wanted...i mean it all sounds good, and definately better than just piezzo for live usage. and i have a really good acoustic guitar with great piezzo system...but some how for recording, the mics sounds still much better.
when i have time i will try some more, maybe i can get better results with some different settings. right now i will keep on using 2 mics, pain in the ass :) too many tracks, phase issues, mic distance-angle, sound in the house bla bla bla :))) but still better sound, and its all about that :)

you may get better results if you do a "live" tonematch. a bit more complicated to set up, but really worth the effort. you need to be able to feed the mic'ed up sound into the axe and match the piezo to it at the same time

Back
Top Bottom