AFIII Acoustic/Electric tune, kinda Zeppy/Big Wreck-ish...

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
,,,,with 1/16th the talent.

Every bit of guitar/bass is the AxeFX, minus the 57 I used to mic the acoustic with. There's 9 tracks of acoustic on this; L/C/R and channel is a mix of the 57, AxeFX and a DI from the AxeFX I tweaked in Logic. Slide guitars is the Comet Councourse preset and the distorted guitars are the Dirty Shirley preset, I tweaked the amp blocks a little bit and there's a small amount of post-EQ to get everything playing nice together, but that was the quickest I've ever pictured distorted tones for a song!

I used my Ibanez SZ with the Fishman Devin Townsend set on the Split Coil + Classic setting for all the electric stuff, just switching between the neck and bridge pickups.

Going to try to bang out some vocals for it tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere close to what I'm thinking (Alter Bridge/Big Wreck)

That’s really cool! Has a bit of The Tea Party thing happening. If you don’t know them but love Big Wreck, they’re another Canadian band fronted by a monster guitar player/singer.

That’s really cool! Has a bit of The Tea Party thing happening. If you don’t know them but love Big Wreck, they’re another Canadian band fronted by a monster guitar player/singer.

Oh, you just made my morning! I totally had them in mind when that intro fell out of my ass one day. There’s another tune I’ve had kicking around I haven’t recorded yet that’s definitely ‘influenced’ by “Sister Awake”. I haven’t heard them in years, I need to bust those albums out again!

You need that loose Bonham vintage Ludwig drum kit...I'm assuming you used EZ Drummer? Definite Zep vibe...Really liked it.

Superior Drummer 3 with some additional tweaking in Logic. I do a bunch of parallel compression (kick and snare and then one for the whole kit) and set up a couple aux's with reverbs for the snare and one room reverb if I don't like the room sound in SD3. Funnily enough, the session for this has two drum tracks with the same MIDI file, but one has a big, Bonham inspired kit and the other one is the kit you hear in this recording. My original intention was to go the Bonham route, but when starting to tweak the mix, it was mixing a certain energy and the tighter kit delivered it.

Once I track the vocals I'll do the legit mix and try to find a marriage between the two. Chances are, I'll automate the shit out of some room reverbs for specific sections and find the happy place.

Wonderful! You have a great talent for dynamics. Please post more of this stuff.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!

I think a big part of that comes from tracking on analog gear back in the 90's mixed with straight up laziness; I don't feel like writing automation for volume if I can just play it that way from the start. And if it's not tickling my funny bone, I'll just stack more tracks until it starts doing it. :D

I wrote out some lyrics and did the 'scat and make weird noises' into a scratch track last night for the melodies. This is totally not my wheelhouse to be singing; but that's usually when the best surprises happen! I'll be sure to post the results when I'm done.

I've got an album coming out in 2022, I'm in the process of turning the demo versions of the songs into the final ones. I'll be releasing plenty of stuff over the next several months. This song sounds nothing like what's on the album so far and I'm not even sure if it would work with the other songs, but we shall see!

Which SDX?

It's the Nashville Slam kit that came with SD3. I don't think I've downloaded any SD3 SDX's yet, just older ones. It's under Pop/Rock. I don't know if that kit loads with the Tama Bell Brass snare, but that's what's on it now. The only tweaking I did within the mixer was pulling back the kick and snare aux's because they were just slamming the piss out of the drums, then tweaked the snare reverb aux.

Right now, in Logic, the whole kit is being sent to a bus with a Shadow Hills (P-A Alliance, not a real one :D) compressor on it, that aux is sending out to a reverb aux that has Abbey Road Chambers on it, which is one of those things you only notice if you take it away. For the most part, that kit and tweaking the shit out of the velocities will get ya there!

Oh, you just made my morning! I totally had them in mind when that intro fell out of my ass one day. There’s another tune I’ve had kicking around I haven’t recorded yet that’s definitely ‘influenced’ by “Sister Awake”. I haven’t heard them in years, I need to bust those albums out again!
I'm so happy to hear people know Jeff Martin and The Tea Party outside of Canada! :D

Let's talk Big Sugar next? :)

I'm so happy to hear people know Jeff Martin and The Tea Party outside of Canada! :D

Let's talk Big Sugar next? :)

Oh that’s a new one for me, I just added a bunch of their albums to my iTunes, I picked the first, last and 3-4 in between.

I first heard The Tea Party on WAAF in Boston. They were playing “Sister Awake” on the air and then each week the station had a really low budget public access show where I saw the performance of it. Loved it right away. That’s the same station where Opie And Anthony came from. That period of time was my favorite for music (and why I picked the two Bug Sugar albums made in the mid-90’s) just because the age I was around then.

Looking forward to checking them out!

Back
Top Bottom