Acoustic / Electric Plectrum Preference?

For electric, non-flexing stainless steel. For acoustic, .88 MM Tortex. I've never found a strumming pattern I couldn't do with a non-flexing pick, but I've found single-note passages I couldn't play with a flexing pick.

I haven't bought a pick in years since I switched to BlueChip. I've used the same IBJ55 (oversized jazz) for electric and the same CT55 (big triangle) for acoustic for several years. They really do last forever, and are definitely worth their price. They're also easier to hold onto than normal picks, glide through the strings easier, and sound awesome.

Another vote for BlueChip. Their speed bevels are fantastic. It’s like having that perfectly broken-in pick ony it lasts for ages.

Last edited:
Red Jazz III for everything. Heavy use of hybrid picking.

I’ve tried growing the nails out and I can’t keep nails on my middle finger to save my life. I’m not down with acrylics so I have to settle for flesh

For intricate acoustic stuff, if not my fingers, a modified Tortex Standard .6mm and for everything else a Brass Teckpick. I used to use a 1mm Tortex Flex, but tried the Teckpick and loved it.

I used to use 1mm Dunlop Tortex but switched recently to Ernie Ball 1mm Everlast. The Ernie Balls are much better to play with I find.

With current advances in stem cell research, I wonder why anyone hasn't tried growing fingernails in a petri dish.
I envisage a product range something like this;
Babynails
Hernails
Hisnails
Coalminers Toenails
:D

Last edited:
I have a bunch of those triangular picks, but haven't been using them for a while. I might try that to see if I like it. Are you just doing it by hand with sandpaper? What grit?
80# for shaping
180# or so for deburring and some tip thinning
Those both just lay on the table and I move the pick against it.

Then a fine sanding sponge to round off the edges.

From ChatGPT:

Q: Write a quick post about why Dunlop Ultex guitar picks sound great

A: Dunlop Ultex guitar picks have become a popular choice among musicians for their unique sound and durability. These picks are made from a unique material called Ultex, which produces a bright and articulate tone that cuts through the mix. The material is also extremely durable and resistant to wear, ensuring that you can rely on these picks to last gig after gig. Plus, the sharp tip of the pick allows for precise playing and easy string articulation. Whether you're playing lead or rhythm, Dunlop Ultex picks are a great choice for anyone looking to add some extra punch and clarity to their sound.

The AI is right on . . . Ultex .73 or .60 in pretty much any shape works for me.

I used Dunlop .60 for 20 years. For me I must have grip because the pick spins on me. Changed to Snarling Dog .60 and migrated to .88 after reading an article on Guthrie Govan using thick picks. Spent a fortune on trial and error including a 35.00 pick like the one Guthrie uses. No I didn't play like him...lol.
I wound up bagging 12 to 15 picks per mini-ziplock and handing them out at gigs to other musicians to save them a few bucks in the trial and error trip.

Back
Top Bottom