Acoustic\electric opinions please

Stratman68

Axe-Master
I remember a thread about Taylor guitars, etc, but could not fin it. I have my Strats and Teles, so I am looking for a good acoustic. Looking at Martins and Taylors only.
Somewhat higher end ones-$3,000 area.
My MAIN concerns are playability, as in action and intonation. Don't really care as much about sitting around the campfire deal as I do recording or playing live. Taylors have the expression 2 pickup system and the Martins I am looking at have L R Baggs Anthem. (which I prefer to Fishman.)
I do remember Admin Matt was partial to Taylors but cannot find the thread, as mentioned.
Currently eyeing Martin om28 w/ L R Baggs anthem and Taylor 714CE Both are Spruce top and rosewood back and sides.
All opinions appreciated except I cannot afford a Collings or a Santa Cruz, etc. Wish I could.
Thanks folks- I took a little break from here for a little while to clear my head. Didn't work! :cool:

My experience has been that Taylor guitars tend to play better off the rack than Martin guitars do, but these things can vary. That said, you can always get a guitar setup to more closely match your particular playing preferences, but the setup can have a fairly substantial impact on tone when it comes to acoustic instruments. It is safer to find a guitar that sounds good and feels good from the day you buy it than to gamble and hope that it will still sound the way you like once it is setup to play how you want it to play.

My advice: Go to a shop that has a good selection of both brands and play them all. You will then be able to do a side by side shootout between your favorites. That's the best way to know that you're getting a superb guitar. It might also be helpful to ask for your favorite two or three to be restrung so that they can be compared with fresh strings.

By the way; one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played was a Taylor 714ce model. Good luck with your search!

You have to be able to try them out and see what works for you depending on your style of playing wether its flat/finger picking or both. I have a Taylor 510 and a Larivee L09 both from the early 80's they have 2 different voices, the Taylor is focused and the Larivee is full and resonant. Good luck in your search, hope you can dig up the thread.

Many years ago, I was also in the market for a high end acoustic and tried a bunch of Taylors and Martins. I preferred Taylors by a very wide margin for exactly what you're describing. They just played so much better than Martins in the same price range.

I will put my Breedlove C25/SMe with the LR Baggs Element VTC system up against any acoustic/electric for plugged in tone. Unplugged, it sounds very well balanced but of course doesn't have the bottom end of a dreadnaught. I also had an Atlas AD25/SR Plus and it too was a great guitar, especially for the money, and sounded great unplugged. Breedlove has won me over with their playability, craftsmanship and 'bang for the buck' compared to other brands. Taylor makes some really good guitars but the ones I've played (414, 510, 710, 814) seem to be overpriced in comparison. Really couldn't find a reason to justify spending more for a Taylor.

My experience has been that Taylor guitars tend to play better off the rack than Martin guitars do, but these things can vary. That said, you can always get a guitar setup to more closely match your particular playing preferences, but the setup can have a fairly substantial impact on tone when it comes to acoustic instruments. It is safer to find a guitar that sounds good and feels good from the day you buy it than to gamble and hope that it will still sound the way you like once it is setup to play how you want it to play.

My advice: Go to a shop that has a good selection of both brands and play them all. You will then be able to do a side by side shootout between your favorites. That's the best way to know that you're getting a superb guitar. It might also be helpful to ask for your favorite two or three to be restrung so that they can be compared with fresh strings.

By the way; one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played was a Taylor 714ce model. Good luck with your search!
Here in lies the problem. no one near me or far from me carries any of these-So I am forced online. Thanks

Whether you go with a Taylor or a Martin, every guitar will vary in its tone because of the wood involved so try as many as you can to find "the one".

Years ago I had my eye on a Taylor that sounded and played just right, that was sitting in the display case at the local Guitar Center. A couple weeks later, after receiving a bonus at work, I went in to buy it and it was gone. I was really bummed but the salesman, who knew me because of other purchases, said they had more of that model unopened on the shelf and asked if I wanted to look at those. I said sure. He opened one, then the next, then the next, nope, not the sound. He got to the last one, handed it to me, I strummed it and said I'll take it. That's "Matilda". I'd never named a guitar before but this one has a very nice and balanced tone with great harmonics.

Many years before, in the early 70s, our bass player and I were in L.A. listening to other bands, and went to Norman's Rare Guitars to see what they had. I started looking through their stock of used Martins and found a particular D-35 that sounded stunning. I compared it to all the D-28s and other D-35s and a D-45, and picked this particular D-35.

So, again, being able to compare guitars to each other, especially acoustics, is important. It's worth it to travel even a reasonable distance, if you can play a bunch of different ones.

I bought a Taylor 710 CE a little over a year ago, after years of a planned Martin purchase. I'm very happy with it, the reason why I switched is that I have found Taylors to be more consistent than Martins, and every one of these 710s just played amazingly well. Easy to play, great intonation and voice. Great recording guitar, and also a perfect "straight into the board" live guitar. If it hadn't been during the pandemic, I might have had more time and inclination to search for the perfect Martin, but the Taylor was a slam-dunk for me.

I remember a thread about Taylor guitars, etc, but could not fin it. I have my Strats and Teles, so I am looking for a good acoustic. Looking at Martins and Taylors only.
Somewhat higher end ones-$3,000 area.
My MAIN concerns are playability, as in action and intonation. Don't really care as much about sitting around the campfire deal as I do recording or playing live. Taylors have the expression 2 pickup system and the Martins I am looking at have L R Baggs Anthem. (which I prefer to Fishman.)
I do remember Admin Matt was partial to Taylors but cannot find the thread, as mentioned.
Currently eyeing Martin om28 w/ L R Baggs anthem and Taylor 714CE Both are Spruce top and rosewood back and sides.
All opinions appreciated except I cannot afford a Collings or a Santa Cruz, etc. Wish I could.
Thanks folks- I took a little break from here for a little while to clear my head. Didn't work! :cool:
First good luck on your quest. From my experience, both Taylor’s and Martins are excellent guitars. The Martins seem to have a darker tone to them. With that said, I think you should just go to a nearby place and spend a good couple hours. Play EVERYTHING. Focus on what speaks to you and feels and sounds right. I did this before I invested in my first quality acoustic. I ended up going for a Taylor and surprisingly, the model I chose was not one of the top ones. It just sounded and played the best to me. Anyhow that’s my advice for what it’s worth. Hope you find a great guitar!

I should have explained better. Sorry. Their are NO PLACES to go and play any of these-near me. Not even close. I would prefer that of course.
Also. unlike many here, from my experience here anyway, I started playing acoustic first 10 or 12 years- James taylor, Croce, stuf like that before I even had an electric. I never stopped playing acosutic guitar, just ell in love with my Strats and Teles and bands, etc. I have been playing steady since the middle 70's............
I should have used the term low action and quality control in my questions. sorry about that also.
I really am not interested in any other guitars atm. I know there are many other nice guitars-Takamine i another btw. which I have.
Just wanted in my waning years to get either a Taylor or a Martin while I can.

Appreciate the input, I will continue my search and who knows, I may find something.
I also plan on using either Sweetwater or MF, since I have the cards and both have the 48 month, no interest deals on many.

That said, I would love to own a Collings, Snta Cruz, etc, but too much $$$ for me and also, once again, no where to play one.

Thanks again

Whether you go with a Taylor or a Martin, every guitar will vary in its tone because of the wood involved so try as many as you can to find "the one".

Years ago I had my eye on a Taylor that sounded and played just right, that was sitting in the display case at the local Guitar Center. A couple weeks later, after receiving a bonus at work, I went in to buy it and it was gone. I was really bummed but the salesman, who knew me because of other purchases, said they had more of that model unopened on the shelf and asked if I wanted to look at those. I said sure. He opened one, then the next, then the next, nope, not the sound. He got to the last one, handed it to me, I strummed it and said I'll take it. That's "Matilda". I'd never named a guitar before but this one has a very nice and balanced tone with great harmonics.

Many years before, in the early 70s, our bass player and I were in L.A. listening to other bands, and went to Norman's Rare Guitars to see what they had. I started looking through their stock of used Martins and found a particular D-35 that sounded stunning. I compared it to all the D-28s and other D-35s and a D-45, and picked this particular D-35.

So, again, being able to compare guitars to each other, especially acoustics, is important. It's worth it to travel even a reasonable distance, if you can play a bunch of different ones.
Ideal but sadly impossible, in Florida anyway! Thanks Greg!

Do you want a thin cutting acoustic sound, or a thick warm acoustic sound? A delicate tinkle or a cannon? Solo at home or playing amplified with a larger ensemble? Cause that's the difference between Taylor and Martin acoustics almost across the board ( yes there are exceptions to this rule).

I am going to give up for the moment. I do appreciate all the replies.
As many have said, very tough without actually playing one or the other. Thank You all for your time!

Do you want a thin cutting acoustic sound, or a thick warm acoustic sound? A delicate tinkle or a cannon? Solo at home or playing amplified with a larger ensemble? Cause that's the difference between Taylor and Martin acoustics almost across the board ( yes there are exceptions to this rule).
I know the difference in the sound. Thanks. That is why I did not mention "sound" in my op.
Your question is a good one and I should have mentioned I know how they both sound-compared to each other.

I should have explained better. Sorry. Their are NO PLACES to go and play any of these-near me. Not even close. I would prefer that of course.
Also. unlike many here, from my experience here anyway, I started playing acoustic first 10 or 12 years- James taylor, Croce, stuf like that before I even had an electric. I never stopped playing acosutic guitar, just ell in love with my Strats and Teles and bands, etc. I have been playing steady since the middle 70's............
I should have used the term low action and quality control in my questions. sorry about that also.
I really am not interested in any other guitars atm. I know there are many other nice guitars-Takamine i another btw. which I have.
Just wanted in my waning years to get either a Taylor or a Martin while I can.

Appreciate the input, I will continue my search and who knows, I may find something.
I also plan on using either Sweetwater or MF, since I have the cards and both have the 48 month, no interest deals on many.

That said, I would love to own a Collings, Snta Cruz, etc, but too much $$$ for me and also, once again, no where to play one.

Thanks again
Yep, I should have said that my 710 CE was an internet purchase, no way I would have taken a plunge on a high end Martin sight unseen. Higher confidence with a Taylor in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom