Acoustic Direct Recording Test

plasmatic

I have one of the new PRS SE Angelus A50E that has the Fishman GT1 piezo pickup in it. For the money, I'm pretty happy with it. I play it direct so I found some free acoustic IRs of Taylor 314s on the webs and made the following recording as a test. My recording/mastering skills are green so headphones may work better when listening. For some free IRs, a little eq, and some verb/delay it didn't turn out too bad. Let me know what you think.

Sounds like an acoustic to my ears. Putting the guitar a bit more prominent in the mix would help me discern the tone a little better. I don't mean that as a criticism. On my system, only the upper registers came out clear. To me, acoustic tone is all about a good balance between the upper registers and lower registers. I could not really hear the lower registers. Just my $0.02. Overall, I like the acoustic sound and nice playing.

Sounds like an acoustic to my ears. Putting the guitar a bit more prominent in the mix would help me discern the tone a little better. I don't mean that as a criticism. On my system, only the upper registers came out clear. To me, acoustic tone is all about a good balance between the upper registers and lower registers. I could not really hear the lower registers. Just my $0.02. Overall, I like the acoustic sound and nice playing.

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on how to do that, volume and eq? I haven't mastered much so I tried a few things that sounded good through monitors and headphones but there wasn't much low end through a phone or computer speakers. Lots to learn...

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on how to do that, volume and eq? I haven't mastered much so I tried a few things that sounded good through monitors and headphones but there wasn't much low end through a phone or computer speakers. Lots to learn...
Ahhh the proverbial mix challenge. You can try volume and eq. I caution you regarding eq, as it is really the acoustic sound you are chasing. If you apply a lot of eq, are you not really masking how the IR sounds? Never mix using computer speakers. Reference speakers are best, then a good pair of headphones (not earbuds) for the mix. Take a crack at it, then transfer it to a storage medium (CD, thumb drive, etc) so you can play it on a variety of systems. Take it out to your car, and have a listen. Play it on a boom box, stereo, etc. and have a critical listen. If needed go back and adjust your mix.

Ahhh the proverbial mix challenge. You can try volume and eq. I caution you regarding eq, as it is really the acoustic sound you are chasing. If you apply a lot of eq, are you not really masking how the IR sounds? Never mix using computer speakers. Reference speakers are best, then a good pair of headphones (not earbuds) for the mix. Take a crack at it, then transfer it to a storage medium (CD, thumb drive, etc) so you can play it on a variety of systems. Take it out to your car, and have a listen. Play it on a boom box, stereo, etc. and have a critical listen. If needed go back and adjust your mix.

Thanks, man. I do mix on studio monitors and have reference headphones but this particular mix didn't translate well to computer/phone speakers. Try, try, try again, right? Good times.....

Back
Top Bottom