Acoustic Badger: Gorgeous Acoustic Tone Without a Piezo

Should be mine, I have the exact same settings in my acoustic preset for the first block I checked, the MBC, and in other blocks too (comp, graphic EQ etc)... Will try your version in a couple of minutes, my guitar is not plugged now :)

Awesome patch! Basically we made level and gain adjustments all over and some other tweaks here and there, but you did the leg work! Glad you spoke up to claim it!

Awesome patch! Basically we made level and gain adjustments all over and some other tweaks here and there, but you did the leg work! Glad you spoke up to claim it!
Glad you and Larry liked it :)

Now I have a funny story : the first ever Axe Fx clip I ever uploaded, less than three months after buying a Standard, starts with a preset inspired by... Larry Mitchell :) and specially his delay settings. One day I was reading the Petrucci forums and found this thread :
Axe-Fx Demo Many Tones!!
here's my post in the thread :
" for this first patch, I was just trying to imitate Larry Mitchell opening solo in his Ibanez clinic in Hawai ( 1/10 Larry Mitchell Ibanez Guitar Clinic - YouTube ) "
( Axe-Fx Demo Many Tones! - Page 2 )

Btw, at the 2 min mark on the Soundclick sample, you'll hear my first attempt at an acoustic sim preset on the standard (which doesn't have a multiband compressor)

The generally positive reactions to my first sample prompted me to do some video demos. That's the 7 demos that started it all for me on youtube : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-recordings/18869-7-videos-youtube.html

Say hi to Larry for me ;)

Oh wow. I just got to load it up and play through it. Sounds truly phenomenal! I was using my Les Paul with vintage wound "PAFs" in it. Love the way you can change the body of the acoustic sound with the volume control.

That one's a keeper!

I run short on CPU power though (with Axe Edit connected). I removed the electric path i kept the acoustic sound. Gorgeous!

After a few days noodling around with the preset still sounds amazing. But I have the same Problem as gpz if I want to record directly with the Axe there's not enough power left. But well.. I guess I find a way to record with an other interface.

Or are are there any known CPU heavy blocks which can be removed?

Should be mine, I have the exact same settings in my acoustic preset for the first block I checked, the MBC, and in other blocks too (comp, graphic EQ etc)... Will try your version in a couple of minutes, my guitar is not plugged now :)

I knew it.. your patches always rock!! Cant wait for a Fremen FW10 update, *nudge nudge*

After a few days noodling around with the preset still sounds amazing. But I have the same Problem as gpz if I want to record directly with the Axe there's not enough power left. But well.. I guess I find a way to record with an other interface.

Or are are there any known CPU heavy blocks which can be removed?
You could split it in to two patches for recording purposes: one for acoustic and one for the Badger sounds. Dropping an AMP and CAB block should free up more than enough CPU to record it.

If you really want both sounds in one patch when recording drop all the effects you aren't using on the Badger side of the patch: wah, delay, phaser, trem/pan. Consider dropping the pitch block at the start too and the bypassed PEQ. That should get you enough headroom to record.

You could split it in to two patches for recording purposes: one for acoustic and one for the Badger sounds. Dropping an AMP and CAB block should free up more than enough CPU to record it.

If you really want both sounds in one patch when recording drop all the effects you aren't using on the Badger side of the patch: wah, delay, phaser, trem/pan. Consider dropping the pitch block at the start too and the bypassed PEQ. That should get you enough headroom to record.

Yeah. Lose the effects.

Thanks for your help and pointing out the obvious. :D

For sure will try that out later.

Yeah. Lose the effects.

Sorry another question. But where is the effect with the Ext1 pedal happening? Is there an easy way to find out, like an overview, which midi function is connected to something in a preset?

Found it: Vol-block at the end of the lower path. Thanks nonetheless. ;)

Last edited:
Great fun patch, how do you modify it to go from acoustic to Badger without the acoustic bleeding through?
I tried messing with the volume block but no luck.

Btw, your YouTube demo is just great!!

I guess the acoustic volume is tied, through one of the EQ blocks, to the expression pedal controlling the electric volume, with the curve reversed

This is fantastic, thanks guys!

Question, where do I go to get the overdrive tones (drive and badger amp block) to assign them to external pedal 2 instead of 1 as it is set up now. I use my ext 1 now for overall vol control.

I am very new to the AXE FX2 XL but I just tried this preset and I get an EXCESS CPU USAGE! REDUCE LOAD error on the screen and it nothing works. Can someone let me know what I may be doing wrong?

I am very new to the AXE FX2 XL but I just tried this preset and I get an EXCESS CPU USAGE! REDUCE LOAD error on the screen and it nothing works. Can someone let me know what I may be doing wrong?

The same here! Any Hints?

Back
Top Bottom