Acoustic Badger: Gorgeous Acoustic Tone Without a Piezo

Cooper Carter

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Here's the patch heard in my most recent video...

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Acoustic Badger - by CCRoyalSenders

Larry Mitchell and I tweaked this patch starting from a great one he found. We don't know whose patch it was originally, so if you know, or it was yours, speak up! We'd love to know.

Some details...

1. The patch uses Tone Matching and Compression to accurately simulate an acoustic guitar without a piezo pickup.
  2. Use a pedal on EXT 1 to bring in electric Badger tone when heel is down.
  3. A pitch block brings in a bass octave, which sounds better without the electric signal blended in.
  4. Another volume block may be unbypassed and the existing volume block may to be set to an inverse modifier curve so that pedal goes between the two sounds instead of mixing the acoustic and electric.

Try this patch with the looper, as seen here: Fun with the Axe-Fx II Looper and Firmware V10 - YouTube. It is endless fun :)

Last edited:
Sounds fantastic. Would you do anything different for piezo pickups. Or, what is the best piezo acoustic preset you've come up with or across.

MM

Sounds fantastic. Would you do anything different for piezo pickups. Or, what is the best piezo acoustic preset you've come up with or across.

MM

I imagine this preset would just sound even closer as is with a piezo. You could redo the the local track of the TMA and see how it improves, too.

Might be too brittle with a piezo and all its natural high end. Sounds like a lot of compression too to make an electric sound like acoustic.

For my piezo, I usually have a EQ block of some sort, multi band compressor and lately I've been putting a cab block with the Tommy IR that's floating around.

Killer preset! The best 'out-of-the-box' acoustic preset I tried so far. Thanks!
I run short on CPU power though (with Axe Edit connected). I removed the electric path i kept the acoustic sound. Gorgeous!

Nice work with the Looper bra!
Check out my acoustic patch (Stratos)..I think you will find it to your liking.

Killer preset! The best 'out-of-the-box' acoustic preset I tried so far. Thanks!

I second that and want to add: For me, preset of the day. :) Just downloaded a few from axe-change (well iirc it's my first acoustic preset) and that's the one that made me look like :shock after the first chords.

After a fast flight over the presets layout.. well I find no appropriate simley...

Now I just have to add a looper block the some of the other presets to try them with that sound as backing. Thanks for sharing that patch.

Man that's great... what gets me is your chops in these videos Cooper. Damn...

Yeah, Cooper...you are a monster player and you offer so much to the community, very appreciative.

Are you making a living as a full time musician? Just curious if you are, and if you are, what is your main bread and butter? Gigging, teaching, studio work, other? Don't have to answer if that is too personal. I'm just thinking about going back to trying to make a modest living in music again after many years off. Regardless, thanks so much for sharing.

Last edited:
I tweaked this patch starting from a great one he found. We don't know whose patch it was originally, so if you know, or it was yours, speak up! We'd love to know.
Should be mine, I have the exact same settings in my acoustic preset for the first block I checked, the MBC, and in other blocks too (comp, graphic EQ etc)... Will try your version in a couple of minutes, my guitar is not plugged now :)

Thanks for the patch Cooper. I need a "pseudo acoustic" for a couple of numbers live and I bet I can get away with this!

Back
Top Bottom