Achieving this kind of overdrive

torkolort

Inspired

Starts at 0:20.

I'm not sure how to get a tone like this. Is this simply the Mark V alone or does he use a Tube Screamer in the clip as well maybe? In any case, whether I use a TS in front of the USA Lead 2 or not, the distortion doesn't sound anything like this. It's hard to explain sound in words and people may have different perception of the different terms. I'm far from certain about the correct use of terminology but if I'd try to explain what I'm hearing in that clip I would start with pointing out a kind of warm and smooth overdrive rather than distortion, which I'm more used to. Also it sounds very compressed, has a lot of low end but is still tight. Lastly, it "sounds" like the "feel" is right (not sure if people understand what I mean there).

Now for explaining my own tone in general I'd say it sounds more like harsh and flat distortion. It doesn't have that warmth I hear on the clip, it's thinner and sounds less melodic. Since it's a "rule of thumb" to have the master vol relatively low at about 3, I usually do that. But I often go a lot higher and for this kind of tone it sounds a little closer. Sometimes I may just crank the master vol, and some of those elements I'm missing does seem to get more noticable but still it's nowhere near, and it still sounds more "static" than on the clip.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I could post a clip tomorrow night to compare if necessary.

Thanks.

I think he used a blackstar combo in that shoot. I Think it`s a clip of it on youtube, but I`m not 100% sure

it's thinner and sounds less melodic.

Thinner might well be, melodic !?

I guess if you try to find out what kind of combo that is and then use that with one of the 3 FF cabs you should have a decent chance.
I'd opt for the drive block in front of the amp too by the way, my first suggestions would be plexi 2 or 1987x ? maybe the marsha BE?

If you use the plexi or 1987x then you need to crank the master and cut some lows.

Jens

This was 5-10 minutes of tweaking and recording. You might want to try it with the 57 or 58 mic sims in the cab, since that is probably what they used on the video.
Bear in mind that I am playing a semi-hollow guitar that is very different from whatever he is using in the video.

I hope it helps or gives a few ideas on how to proceed.

Jens

Attachments

• ShivaChunk25-04-12 .syx
    2 KB · Views: 7
Thanks guys, wasn't aware that he used another amp, I just assumed he used the Mark series as he usually does.

Jens, you're definitely on to something, I haven't' really used much of the other amps, so I'll try and experiment with your patch tomorrow. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom