Achieving feedback using the Axe FX 2

bulgmaf

Inspired
Anyone know if there is a block/setting with the AxeFx2 that mimics feedback, if going direct into house? Or does one still need to run through a power amp and cab and stand in 'just the right spot' ?

throw a compressor in front and set it up so you get crazy sustain
I have one I sue thru the RCf that workds great even at low volumes :)

Not particularly limited to a cab, easy enough to get with any speaker solution that interacts with your guitar.

Compressor sustain thing is quite different in terms of feel and harmonic content than feedback. Even when going FOH, I have a speak hooked to my Matrix for just this reason - only real feedback sounds and 'plays' (feels) like real feedback.

Though it wouldn't necessarily sound or behave exactly the same a cool effect would be to have a model of the Boss Feedbacker pedal. The other guitarist in my band has one and it works great for those times you need a pond sustained note and you don't wanna worry w/and E Bow or having to try to coax the feedback out of your rig.

I use ELX112P as a wedge and it is surprisingly easy to control/create feedback; easier than my old guitar amp/cab setup even. That said, I don't think anyone has mastered a patch that would allow for reliable and controllable feedback without the requisite volume pointed at the guitar's pickups ala a BOSS feedbacker effect.

I run direct to FOH at gigs but I need to bring my monitor if I want to get the tasty feedback.

I've been toying around with the idea of 'generating' feedback within a patch on the axe using the feedback send/return blocks, a drive, reverb and delay. An expression pedal would be used to control the feedback send, so you could just generate some by increasing the level, then letting it off. I'll post the patch when my main PC is back up and running.

The Korg PX5D has a Feedback preset. It sounds like it takes the pitch of a held note and syncs it with a modulated synth. There is no control of the dynamic though, and it sounds cool for about 5 minutes.

Maybe something similar could be done in the AXE, but with an expression pedal to control the dynamics, etc. How about a repeat hold with some type of pitch modulation?

if you're at bedroom level, try to mount a headset on your bridge for real feedback ;)

...but...i guess youre after something like the boss fb-2?
Never tried that one, and dont know if its achieveable on the axe???, but would be quite handy if you wanna stay friends with the neighbours :)

Let's not take the fun out of it! It is sweetest when you work at it and finally get it. It will not be that special if you can get it any time you want. By "it" I mean controlled feedback. Shame on you if you read something else :)

No patch, no Boss or other Feedback simulator will ever sound as harmonically rich, nor be controllable with as much nuance as gen-u-ine feedback. Nothing wrong with 'em. I've evenplayed with 'em, but they are still pale in comparison to the real deal.

My $0.02 for today.

I thought I had read something from Cliff that said in fw9 he had done something to the power amp modeling that improved feedback... then again maybe I should move to Colorado... :)

I thought I had read something from Cliff that said in fw9 he had done something to the power amp modeling that improved feedback... then again maybe I should move to Colorado... :)

Yep, he did. do you really thing they will let you out of NoDak?

Back
Top Bottom