• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Accurate low-end in Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+, Mark V, JP-2C

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
@Tonic

The axe is sample 2 .

the chug is in your wrist, hit the strings ! you need to find a setting without too much gain, too much bass . The jp is well reproduced globally , the mark 4 is great too . If you start with the typical metal setting , you adjust them to your liking and it’s done .

Forget petrucci rig preset, that’s a joke.
The petrucci ir in the axe is horrible too .

Last edited:

jin1995x

Inspired
I really dislike it, sounds dead .
I used that ir for tight gate rhythms/leads drop c / drop b etc. Not for lower stuff. sounds really tight and quite, but with an archon

I Use an acrhon, 5150 block , skull crusher 5153 blue channel alot more than any other amp

JP amps are kinda weak for low tuned stuff,
Completely lack the growl, and power.

but for metallica/ dt etc yes theyre accurate as they can get

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
I used that ir for tight gate rhythms drop c / drop b etc. Not for lower stuff. sounds really tight and quite, but with an archon

I Use an acrhon, 5150 block , skull crusher 5153 blue channel alot more than anyother. amps.

JP amps are kinda weak for low tuned stuff,
Completely lack the growl, and power.

but for metallica/ dt etc yes theyre accurate as they can get
I really like the 5150 III amp in the axe, fits great for most of metal things. I don’t play a lot with the mark in the axe .

Using a grind boost in the recto is pretty killer too

jin1995x

Inspired
No they don´t, you just need to know how to tweak them.
I found they can have similar low end as diezel herbert, if you know what you are doing.
I mean with tweaking certainly everything is possible in axe, but for drop f# and lower, 5150/53, archon, and some others are a much better fit.

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
I have done a 2 days studio session with the axe this week , and … I have used my recto 2 preset. The one I am battle with since the beginning 🤦🤣. It’s very hard to choose which amp using as I have done a preset for each amp , but in the context of the record I needed a fat sounding guitar so I have done the whole session with a Les Paul and the recto . Can’t wait so see the result .
You are looking for a tight sound and in the end you record with a truck sound . 🐈‍109% me 😅

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
Before recording I have done 3 tests with just 2 guitars track

-Real jp 2c with built in cab clone
-Real jp 2c with sennheiser mics in the recto cabs
-Axe 3

And the axe with the recto wins in the song context .

The cab clone suck seriously . It can goes well just for leads but in rythm 😐. Sounds cheap .

With the mic I miss some low end ..

Finally it’s cool to use the presets , with the time it takes to made them … sounds great immediately. When you have no time it’s a cool choice

Tonic

Inspired
@Tonic

The axe is sample 2 .

the chug is in your wrist, hit the strings ! you need to find a setting without too much gain, too much bass . The jp is well reproduced globally , the mark 4 is great too . If you start with the typical metal setting , you adjust them to your liking and it’s done .

Forget petrucci rig preset, that’s a joke.
The petrucci ir in the axe is horrible too .

Use your ears or buy real presets like nkp ones 😁
No ;)
Axe first one

jin1995x

Inspired
The archon sound globally too much smooth to me .
For 8 strings the mark 4 sound great
Yes archon is smooth in general but i have some preamp cuts applied and some tweaks here and there. which makes the chugs more chuggy. .

kinda like this

However the smoothness is actually beneficial for some fast riffs, involving less muting

Tonic

Inspired
I
Before recording I have done 3 tests with just 2 guitars track

-Real jp 2c with built in cab clone
-Real jp 2c with sennheiser mics in the recto cabs
-Axe 3

And the axe with the recto wins in the song context .

The cab clone suck seriously . It can goes well just for leads but in rythm 😐. Sounds cheap .

With the mic I miss some low end ..

Finally it’s cool to use the presets , with the time it takes to made them … sounds great immediately. When you have no time it’s a cool choice
I make a lot of tests with Real amps, Quad Cortex, Kemper, Helix,... all stuff possible.
To me the best all in one solution is the axe.
Kemper sounds warm it s good when playing alone but in a mix context sounds too smooth are bad, it lacks something in the mids.
The axe can sound nasty and I love when sound is raw and with a lot of texture.
I hear a lot of smooth sounds but, again (IMO) it sounds cheap.
Often the problem is the IR (I agree a lot are dead sounding).

Yeah the cab clone is no good on the JP2C

Thomas Obester

Experienced
I

I make a lot of tests with Real amps, Quad Cortex, Kemper, Helix,... all stuff possible.
To me the best all in one solution is the axe.
Kemper sounds warm it s good when playing alone but in a mix context sounds too smooth are bad, it lacks something in the mids.
The axe can sound nasty and I love when sound is raw and with a lot of texture.
I hear a lot of smooth sounds but, again (IMO) it sounds cheap.
Often the problem is the IR (I agree a lot are dead sounding).

Yeah the cab clone is no good on the JP2C
they should use in JP2C the same technology for IR as in Badlander.
I would then maybe think about buying jp2c.

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
Yes archon is smooth in general but i have some preamp cuts applied and some tweaks here and there. which makes the chugs more chuggy. .

kinda like this

However the smoothness is actually beneficial for some fast riffs, involving less muting

Far from the original sound you have choosing it in the axe yes 🤣

It reminds me the first fear factory album

Tonic

Inspired
This load box don’t make it Justice so, I prefer sound 1 by far .
You got a lot of treble here maybe due to the ir. I don’t have that sound with the head or preset
I have almost the same sound with my mesa 412 as a load.
Maybe a little more attack ok...
I love nasty sounds so it a sm57 close to the speaker.
A Real amp miked sound like that (and not like méga sub bass I here too often)
I just pushed a little bit too much the GEQ to show the attack.
I m using a strat too ;) it s not a modern guitar with a lot of bass

Top Bottom