Accoustic Guitar

sherpa_man

Inspired
Anybody using there Axe Fx 2 as a accoustic amp?, i have a accoustic on the way and just wondering if i could do this, if anybody is doing this any chance you could let me now what amp blocks you are using, cheers!

There are lots of threads that ask and answer your question. Search and ye shall find.

Short answer: yes, it works very well. Some folks use the Tube Pre amp sim to warm it up a bit; others don't. There are some acoustic body "cab sims" floating around the forum that can sweeten things up. Beyond that, use whatever effects you always wanted to use on acoustic.

I use Axe Fx II with an Acousic Guitar (Fishman Rare earth Blend)
My chain is: ---> Filter ---> MBC --->Geq ---> Rev ---> enh --->

;)

When I had the Ultra I did record an acoustic instrumental demo with it. It did an amazing job,the response was amazing. I was using my Alvarez Yairi MMY 1 Guitar which sounds amazing and the Ultra did a phenomenal job with it. I recently tried my acoustic with the Axe Fx II and it sounds even better,so in short yes it works really well with The Axe Fx II.

I love the older fishman blender system with the condenser mic on my taylor going into the Axe-fx other then that theres micing up with a mic preamp then go line level into the AXE-fx or sometimes a h8000 or both-;)Yum

Correct. The Axe can do what the Venue can do, along with a whole bunch of stuff it can't do.

Any idea what would cause a "muddy" sound on a clean acoustic patch?

Bad patch;-) Perhaps mismatched impedance running line signal into guitar input. Mediocre pickup(s). Too many lows or mids. Could be many things. Posting your setup would help.

I think it may be a patch, not to sure where to start with a acoustic patch, my setup is a Martin d-28 with a lt bags anthem, running into a line 6 g90, axe fx 2 into a matrix 800 into a diesel 2x12 cab.

I've never got an acoustic guitar to sound good through an electric guitar cab. The cab cannot produce the sparkling high frequencies so important to an acoustic and the tone sounds boxy and muddy.

Yep, it's the cab for starters. Another reason FRFR is most flexible way to run Axe because electric, acoustic, synth, vocals all sound good. No way I know of to get a good, normal purpose acoustic tone from a cab like that. I did hear a guy (can't remember name) who plays with Calexico run a small bodied Gibson through a Twin and it sounded great. He said running through the amp was one of the big keys to his sound. That said, a Twin is typically voiced a lot brighter than most amps and has speakers that'll put out more high end than a typical Diesel cab. You may be able to EQ your patch into some level of useability, but my guess is that it won't sound much like a real acoustic guitar by the time you're done.

I do this occasional as well (i.e. using the Axe as an preamp/effects unit through a "FRFR" system), and it sounds very nice. I use the tube pre, a little compressor before and after and a little tape delay and medium room reverb after that. And I'm blessed having a Godin Nylon Duet Ambiance, and this model has some very cool Fishman modeling built right in, so no need for fancy IR's!
Enjoy!
Benji

All the time. I run a Maton EBG808 with piezo straight into the AxeII. I primarily go comp>tubepre>reverb, but I have a TM for a Tommy Emmanuel tune that I don't use an amp for so it's comp>TM>reverb.

I'll tweak comp and reverb mostly depending on whether I'm strumming or fingerpicking. I like having the gain (sans distortion) as high as possible on the softer fingerstyle songs where I want max sustain and body and I'll tighten that up (reduce it) for faster strumming and picking. It's nice when the gear will do the work for you on certain tones.

Of course, Chet Atkins called Reverb "talent". As in, "You need some more talent on that track?" And I'm okay with that.

EDIT: my FRFR is either JBL EON 515s in stereo or the Atomic powered wedge. I get good results with either. In truth, the atomic sounds good straight, although I miss the reverb and compression from the axe (although I get a little compression from the guitar's onboard preamp)

How do you guys set up your presets when using the acoustic IR's that are floating around?
I have tried a few but they really did not sound to good to me but I was probably setting up my chain wrong.

Is it possible to get an "acoustic" sound out of regular mag. guitar pickups now with the Tone Match block or is a piezo the only way to go to get a passable acoustic sound?

Back
Top Bottom