Accessing Bank D on the XL with MFC-101 MK1

The MFC-101 stores 384 presets. The Axe-Fx II Mark I/II also store 384 presets. The XL stores 512 presets and maybe someday 1024. Many MIDI controllers only store 128 presets. There is no correlation between the number of presets on a MIDI controller and the device being controlled. This is not a bug, mistake or deception.

Exactly.

Thank you for the explanation. I guess I'll move the factory presets to Banks B, C & D and use Bank A for my presets that are currently in Bank D (384+).

Sent from Moto X

Thank you for the explanation. I guess I'll move the factory presets to Banks B, C & D and use Bank A for my presets that are currently in Bank D (384+).

Sent from Moto X

This is exactly what I've done; all of my gigging presets (approx 30) are in Bank A and have plenty of room for building new ones.

In the past the 384 presets in the MFC corresponded exactly to the 384 presets in the machine. This one-to-one correlation no longer exists. OK. Accepted.

I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong hence my frustrated initial post.

So here's the current situation: "The MFC can control 384 presets which is less than the number of presets in the XL. If you set the XL to a preset above 384 it will put the MFC into an undefined state where nothing can be controlled - this is not a fault".

In the thread it states a firmware update is coming. "...an update will be forthcoming that makes access Bank D on the Axe-fx II XL possible..." Is it available yet? If it isn't available, when will it be?

Thank you.

Last edited:
How did you send Bank D to Bank A? I tried with Fractal-Bot, but it sees my Bank D backup as a System Backup and won't let me select where I want to send the presets. I have started a thread in the Fractal-Bot section for assistance.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fract...bank-d-backups-system-backup.html#post1035842

I moved all of bank A's presents individually to 385-512. You can also try downloading the banks from the Support Page and send Bank A to Axe-FX XL Bank D via Fractal Bot.

I have the banks, but I was hoping to avoid having to manually/individually move all 'my' presets from Bank D to A.

I was hoping Fractal-Bot would automate the process, but it doesn't appear to support doing anything with the backups it makes of Bank D, which seems odd.

Sent from Moto X

I read the whole topic, but did not understand. Can I manage all the 512 XL's presets using MFC-101 m3? Now my MFC comes to 384 presets

I hope I am missing something obvious, but I am unable to access preset in Bank D on my Axe-fx II XL via the MFC-101 MK1. Everything is working great up until preset 383, but I can't select anything higher than than. If I select a preset higher than that using the front panel, the MFC will display the preset and the name, but I can't enable/disable any effects and if I try to change presets, it does nothing but stay on the preset I selected from the front panel.

I have updated the firmware, selected XL as the model and checked to see if it was an issue with the bank/song limit but it will not let me change to any value higher than 77. Any ideas?

You can map any one of the 384 MFC-101 presets to any Axe-Fx XL preset using the Axe-Fx Preset Tx Map feature. I can't access my MFC-101 manual right now but you'll find it on the "INT. CC & CHANGE MAPS" page of the MFC-Edit program. This way you could map your MFC-101 preset number 219 to Axe-Fx XL preset number 750 for example.

Last edited:
The MFC-101 stores 384 presets. The Axe-Fx II Mark I/II also store 384 presets. The XL stores 512 presets and maybe someday 1024. Many MIDI controllers only store 128 presets. There is no correlation between the number of presets on a MIDI controller and the device being controlled. This is not a bug, mistake or deception.

Does this mean that I can't control the presets 385-768 using MFC-101?

Does this mean that I can't control the presets 385-768 using MFC-101?

You can select and control all preset numbers in the XL.

Please see the "INT. CC & CHANGE MAPS" page of the MFC-Edit program or section 12.4.3 of the MFC-101 Owner's manual. Specifically the "Axe-Fx Preset Transmit Map" and 12.1.2.

You can select and control all preset numbers in the XL.

Please see the "INT. CC & CHANGE MAPS" page of the MFC-Edit program or section 12.4.3 of the MFC-101 Owner's manual. Specifically the "Axe-Fx Preset Transmit Map" and 12.1.2.

please tell me step by step what I need to do in each of the devices (Axe and MFC) to switch presets from 1 to 768. Sorry for my noob question

you have access to 384 presets with the MFC. so you cannot switch from 1 to 768 with the mfc.

the easiest thing to do is move the presets you want to use to preset slots 0-383 (or 1-384 if you have offset on). using axe-manage in axe-edit is the easiest way.

please tell me step by step what I need to do in each of the devices (Axe and MFC) to switch presets from 1 to 768. Sorry for my noob question

Step 1. Read the manual, sections 12.1.2 and 12.4.3

You can address any 384 of the total 768 Axe-Fx presets at any time. You can access any of the 768 XL presets, but only 384 of them from MFC-101. I don't know how else to say this.

Just bumped on the same thing. Maybe it's a fault in the way of thinking. Saving to an empty preset was the first thing I thought after finding a preset that sounds very good for my current work, I wanted to use different scenes and shunt a few effects to free up cpu for Amp2. The first empty preset is in Bank D. In my naif thought, I'dd select Bank D as a user default bank on the MFC. Just have to adapt the way of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom