Acceptance of axe fx from others

If you are doing a show and your biggest worry is about whether or not the crowd is accepting of a guitar modeler, not sure what to make of that lol

One of the biggest pluses of the AxeFx II is that you don't have to worry about pedal board patch cables, batteries, tubes not seated, dirty pots and a million other gotcha's that plague analog rigs that are used heavily.

As I was and still am a Marshall guy, I spent a lot of time at the Marshall forums and it is really surprising how closed minded people are. I prefer to look at it like this : the more options one has available only increases ones ability to create the tone and sound they want.

I thought about offering to do a compare/shoot out with some of them over there, but most of the tube guys just dismiss you because they are so programmed that nothing compares to thier Gibson guitar straight into thier Marshall amp.

I never had people complaining about my sound (quite the contrary, to say the least) but some can't help but to tell me "the real deal still sounds a bit more authentic/raw/..."; partially this is due to me playing rather clean and dialing my tones likewise. But people belittling my rig usually fall into two categories:

1. Old men (often soundguys and non-guitar playing musicians) who listen with their eyes and who are unfamiliar with leading DSP technology.
2. People who aren't musicians at all but think they know everything about it. Gotta love 'em :D

I get nothing but compliments from other musicians I play with. Examples:
- simply sounds most professional
- perfect volume control (overall, and regarding dynamic playing, i.e. appropriate volume levels for playing background/rhythm/solo etc.)
- palette of tones (obviously ;) )

Ever had someone with some new gear or technology make fun of you because you don't share their enthusiasm and you prefer the "old" way, without criticism of their "new" way?

I guess I feel the way that Iv'e always felt about gear. I was not ashamed of my Crate V50, my Valvetronix, or the little Marshall 1x12 that I played. I owned a Single Rect, Triamp, Superfly, MOD50, and a few others I don't remember...I still ended up with compliments on the tone and playing no matter what the gear.

If you have to worry about what anyone thinks about your gear (outside of tone), then your completely wrong about priorities. I TOTALLY get the impact of visuals for certain bands. The visuals ARE part of the show. I get it. But I'd rather have a pile of FRFR speakers sitting in those cabs, driven by one little black box.

Nothing wrong with either approach, but in the end, isn't that kind of criticism like saying they don't like your tone because you play a bright pink guitar?

But I'd rather have a pile of FRFR speakers sitting in those cabs, driven by one little black box.

Nothing wrong with either approach, but in the end, isn't that kind of criticism like saying they don't like your tone because you play a bright pink guitar?

If it's a show and you need the visual, totally agree. But you do have to be able to carry off playing a pink guitar right?

I've noticed over many years that the local Guitar Centers have a tendency - whenever someone brings in a guitar, even a piece of junk, as soon as they take it out all the employees go "Oh WOW man, that thing is SOOOO AWESOME!". Even when I recently traded in a completely unremarkable lefty Ibanez RG (a 5ex1, which was a cheap GC only run) everyone in the store ran over and remarked how awesome it is. I've gotten the clear impression that it's blatant sarcasm/patronization.

So the other day when I was buying a second pair of Alto ts115a's I mentioned I was playing an Axe FX2 through them. Immediately all the employees working in that area stopped what they were doing to say "an axe fx? WOW, those are so AWESOME, I hear. Never played one because we don't sell em. How awesome is it?" I just smiled when I realized it was the patent GC patronization, and replied "you know how it is. It's nice, but it's no TOOB AMP" to which they all immediately offered their agreement. See? I can do passive aggressive sarcasm too!

I've never worried about what people thought of my gear and I still don't. If you sound good no one cares. Better yet, if you write good songs then they don't even think about your guitar sound or your gear. That's what we should all strive for, writing songs that make people forget about our gear.

If it's a show and you need the visual, totally agree. But you do have to be able to carry off playing a pink guitar right?

101_0265.jpg

Back
Top Bottom