AC30 questions

@Axeman

Check this raw amp clip out (not u2). Towards the beginning, the more driven sound makes it clear to me and even later on it's still evident in the cleaner sound.
1964 VOX AC30 Top Boost - YouTube

This is the tone I'm looking for, haven't heard it yet in any clips, it's that "sparkle" and bite. Has anyone got any where near this '64 tone?

I've got £2000 burning a hole in my pocket and am currently swaying to buying a '64 AC30 rather than an Axe FX 2 and using my Axe FX 1 as an FX unit, was not overly impressed with the Axe FX 1 AC30 models and I have heard no clips of the Axe FX 2 that sound like this.

Obviously if the Axe FX 2 is capable of this glorious sound in the link above I'd buy that, just haven't heard it yet.

First, YouTube videos never do a great job of showing the clarity and accuracy of the Axe, for a million reasons.

Secondly, even if there was a difference in sound, it would be so minute, you wouldn't hear it. I have an AC30 patch on AxeChange ("AC30 Sparkle") that makes its excellence evident. Disclaimer: patch was made for EMG pickups, so it may not sound the same with your guitar- you might crank the input trim a little if using single coils.

Thirdly, I would quickly be fed up with carrying around a 75-pound amp, not to mention the rest of your gear. Axe Fx just makes sense.

Just buy the Axe($2200, 30-day return policy), read the forum. & manual, try it out with a pair of clear monitors (Equator D5's- $300, 60-day return policy), and if you still don't like it, you can return it for a refund, and not regret never trying it.

If you reall want "that" tone, be done with it and buy the amp. Or, wait until v10 and buy the AXE FX II. The bottom line is regardless of the samples you hear on line > they aways sound different with your own guitar and playing.

I agree !
It wont get close enough .I tested a real one up against the axe the other day.
Those amps are funny. There is lots of hum from the psu being intermodulated
into the sound. There is also lots of pleasant and nasty overtones that doesn't seem
to be in the axe. The axe sounds a little to nice and lifeless compared.
It doesn't roar in that voxy way.
At least I think.

By the amp :)

Yeah...not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but it's like a couple of additional layers of distortion/harmonics...a sweetness and harmonic excitement in the top end of the "clean" part of the sound (could be much of it is in the attack)...or something like that :razz, that I yet can't find in the Axe. Especially apparent at live loudness. A bit too clean and straight forward.

What about cranking the Transformer drive, or turning the Transformer match?

View attachment 15236

Here is my latest One preset. It's as of last fall. I haven't updated all my v9.x presets yet because I was waiting for v10.0. I don't play all the songs all the time and am always working on a new tutorial which takes a lot of time, so usually the prest for my latest tutorial is the most recent.

You can edit this preset and adjust to your taste and for your gear. Just change tempo and delays for different songs (and of course use different drives, etc.). My core AC-30 model is what is most important here.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom