AC20T lost its balls?

guitardoc

Experienced
Having come from Q2.03 I updated to Q3.01 yesterday. My presets are pretty straightforward amp parameter wise and I almost never touch anything apart from gain, BMT, presence, and master - like you would with a real amp.

I use the AC20T for clean and crunchy tones in quite some presets and they all sound flat, thin, and without cojones after updating. I had to dial in bass up to 10 and engage the fat parameter to give it back some girth. It still sounds off to me though. Is there maybe some advanced parameter that received a new (de)fault(y) value with the update?

AC20 is pretty much ground zero for chime tones... what kind of girth were you getting before?

I've been using the AC20 a lot over the past few FW. It's at its best with the master high. As such, the new transformer grind parameter has a strong effect. Maybe consider setting that to zero?

Sounds fine to me. I've got a real one and I use the AxeFX model fairly heavily and I haven't really noticed much of a change.

But the ballsiness of the amp is really dependent on cab choice. I've found that on lower volume settings any cabs with Alnico Blues can be a little thin sounding unless use the AC20B model instead.

Quickest way to make it fatter would probably be add a "null" mic and set the proximity to taste. Adding some lows in the mic preamp would help too.

Oddly enough, I just recorded with this amp last night and it sounded fantastic! Perhaps it is something else in your chain?

Try bringing the 'Bass' (on the 'Basic' page) back down to reduce any flubby-ness and add it back in the Amp GEQ. Also, maybe re-think the IR?

I used the Alnico Blue IR which I have been using for months.

One particular preset contains just amp, cab and a tad of reverb. I vaguely remember, though, that I used the update all amps (is this the correct name? I am not near my music stuff atm) option (was it from the front panel or in AE? I can't remember). Maybe that reset something? It sounds brittle and thin now, like listening to iPhone's internal speakers.

Anyway, using the Null microphone to dial in more low frequencies instead of turning up bass sounds like a very good plan. Thanks for the advice!

However, I just saw that there was an issue with 3.01 which was fixed in 3.02. I'll check the new version tomorrow, maybe my problem was due to that bug.

Thanks to all of you guys - I really appreciate your help in this forum!

No change here. It's my main edge-of-break-up am and it still sounds as awesome as ever!

I can make that thing rock.. try flicking the saturation switch on, or put a compressor dynamics block in front and turn up the dynamics, thats a trick i used to use to get more gain out of an amp that was just getting into OD territory, it would just push it over the edge to perfection.

I actually reduced the bass on my AC20 patches. Sounds nice and big, feels great too when playing. Haven't gone as far as enabling the Cut switch yet, don't think I need to but it's close. I use cab#60 with my AC20 patches, give that a try and see if you are getting any different results.

I asked the same thing about the blankenship model, feels like it used to be much easier to get it to totally wail.. it's quiet a bit tamer now. But I assume more true to the actual amp. So I can't really complain.

I wonder if you should try reloading the firmware, I'm assuming you reset the amp block to try? Nothing major has really changed to my tones from Q3.

Back
Top Bottom