• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

AC Power Frequency

DLM

Power User
I noticed the AC line frequency setting and I was wondering how it affects the sound depending on the setting.

ALaz502

Inspired
Give it a shot and hear for yourself. I recall a while back that Cliff talked about this. He went with a Direct Current model initially since it is deemed the "best" and cleanest by most electrical engineers. However if I recall he mentioned that he was surprised by how the tones were affected when changing the emulation to Alternating Current. I can't seem to find the post though. Cliff posts so much!

Hopefully he'll have a chance to answer this.

DLM

Power User
Yeah I can tell the difference between AC and DC, but I was wondering about how the line frequency setting affects the sound technically.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The most notable thing would be the ghost notes. There is also a slight difference in feel.

iggypop

Experienced
Last Saturday when I had tested the new Plexi 100W High model, I alternated between AC/DC, and the difference was immense IMO. The DC setting yielded tones more reminiscent of fw 9, brighter... When on the AC setting, it turned to a darker, meaner, badass tone, like those classic recordings we grew up listening to. Another great improvement by Cliff!

Top Bottom