AC/DC goes amp modeling.

Roadrunner

Power User
Well, not exactly,

My current project in the last 2y is an AC/DC tribute, in the last 25y or so I've been always using amp modelers and other digital multi-FX along with tube amps / preamps etc.

For this project I told myself I have to be authentic and stay as close as I can to the original so went on full analog, a Friedman head + 2 drive / distortion pedals.

I tried, I really tried, also experimented many other heads during rehearsals and few pedals but it just simply dining "hit".

So, I got myself an FM3 and boom! It's there, I got the juice.

Playing AC/DC on a digital equipment is almost blasphemy but there are no rules, right?

I'm using FAS product for 11y or so, had all of them, it's simply what my ear is used to, can't play pedals.

Playing AC/DC on a digital equipment is almost blasphemy but there are no rules, right?
It's blasphemy if you insist on using the same model amps and speakers and guitars with the same gauge and brand of strings, same picks, same cables, and their fingers to get an exact copy. But since you can't have all those you accept there'll be differences.

The model of the amps and cabinets in the FM3 are extremely good and are based on the best examples of those things that Fractal could find. With some tweaking, possibly low level inside the amp block, and maybe using different cabinets, we should be able to get really close to the sound of their amps that we hear, if not dead-on for any artist. That's what I like about Fractal's firmware - it's so tweakable.

Getting their fingers is all on you.

I was an amp-only guy for years, partly because of simplicity, and partly because my amps sound really good by themselves. I had a bunch of good pedals I'd fiddled with occasionally and finally built a nice board from them, and just before the virus hit, took it along with my amp and forced myself to run on the rhythm channel on my Imperial Mk II, and would push it with the dual distortion pedals in various combinations, and, yeah, it sounded good used that way, but it was definitely different than going straight into the amp on the lead channel.

I got my FM3 and FX3 just about the same time, and now really prefer them. The presets I've built make me happy and are good substitutes for the board, and now that we have Cygnus on both, and the FM3 sounds killer, so I want to use it all the time. I take the Imperial to jams because it's faster to get it setup and torn down but I'm always disappointed as I feel like I'm making a concession. That's a weird feeling since I know it's a great amp.

Last edited:
Last week my friend sent me videos of a AC/DC tribute band in Barcelona. Everything was cloned with details. Guitars, amps, clothes, poses, newsboy cap... Almost perfect, except for one detail: Angus was almost two meters high!!! It was a real shock to see that giant with shorts jumping through the stage. :D

Last week my friend sent me videos of a AC/DC tribute band in Barcelona. Everything was cloned with details. Guitars, amps, clothes, poses, newsboy cap... Almost perfect, except for one detail: Angus was almost two meters high!!! It was a real shock to see that giant with shorts jumping through the stage. :D
Well "lucky" for us, "Angus" in my band is the same size as the original one.
Still have a problem with "Mal" he is more or less twice in weight and 20cm taller :eek:

BTW, beside going full on digital and floyed guitar, I also use the wah in one song AND chorus in one part.
(trying to pull the rope little by little, wonder who's going to be the first to scream ha ha ha ).

Back
Top Bottom