AFIII AC/DC - "Back In Black" Tone Match

Thanks a bunch for this.

Question, outside of mix is this a really harsh sounding tone or just how it's working for me??

Thanks a bunch for this.

Question, outside of mix is this a really harsh sounding tone or just how it's working for me??

I'd have to hear a sample. Are you using humbuckers? The preset is tone matched to my guitar, so I'm not sure how it'll translate otherwise.

So, I hoped that I can take your preset, then click on TMA block, and record my guitar by pressing on Capture -> Start Local switch, and then press Match button and I expected it will match my guitar with tone from your reference track, which you captured.
But actual result was very wrong. Any ideas if my approach makes sense and maybe I missed something?

So, I hoped that I can take your preset, then click on TMA block, and record my guitar by pressing on Capture -> Start Local switch, and then press Match button and I expected it will match my guitar with tone from your reference track, which you captured. But actual result was very wrong. Any ideas if my approach makes sense and maybe I missed something?

Unfortunately, the preset doesn't save the capture data. It saves the frequency curve, but not the capture data. You can download my isolated (tone matched) guitars here.

Last edited:
Thank you. My update is that I matched your track, and now sound makes much more sense, but still far from what you demonstrated.
I will be looking for opportunity to get proper HB guitar (SG or Les Paul) and try this experiment again. I think my current pickups are very different from those which are supposed to be used for this tone.

Thank you. My update is that I matched your track, and now sound makes much more sense, but still far from what you demonstrated. I will be looking for opportunity to get proper HB guitar (SG or Les Paul) and try this experiment again. I think my current pickups are very different from those which are supposed to be used for this tone.

HB's are definitely going to get you closer.

I'd have to hear a sample. Are you using humbuckers? The preset is tone matched to my guitar, so I'm not sure how it'll translate otherwise.
It's a PRS 24 with humbuckers. I don't have a backing track to see how it all fits in a mix. I know your recording you shared is dead on so I'm just wondering if I have something odd or it's just how this sounds without drums and bass.

It's a PRS 24 with humbuckers. I don't have a backing track to see how it all fits in a mix. I know your recording you shared is dead on so I'm just wondering if I have something odd or it's just how this sounds without drums and bass.

My HB's aren't high output, so I usually compensate by turning the Input Boost on in the Preamp section of the Amp block. You might try turning that off and setting the Out Compression (found in the Dynamics section of the Amp block) to 0. Let me know if that helps.

Sounds great. Congrats

Is there any way to port this tone to the fm3?

I exported the Tone Match to a Cab and saved the preset with a Cab block rather than a Tone Match block. I've attached the preset and Cab file to this post in a zip file. FracTool should allow you to convert the preset to the FM3, though I'm not sure whether the FM3 will allow you to import the Cab file. It's worth a shot, though. If it does, simply import the Cab file and assign it to the presets Cab block.

Attachments

• Back In Black.zip
    11 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I exported the Tone Match to a Cab and saved the preset with a Cab block rather than a Tone Match block. I've attached the preset and Cab file to this post in a zip file. FracTool should allow you to convert the preset to the FM3, though I'm not sure whether the FM3 will allow you to import the Cab file. It's worth a shot, though. If it does, simply import the Cab file and assign it to the presets Cab block.

thanks a lot. Not sure I’m following all that is involved but I’ll give it a try

My HB's aren't high output, so I usually compensate by turning the Input Boost on in the Preamp section of the Amp block. You might try turning that off and setting the Out Compression (found in the Dynamics section of the Amp block) to 0. Let me know if that helps.
I tried both of these. I don't have high output pickups either so turning off the boost did reduce the harshness but it also dropped the gain too much (as you would expect). What I ended up trying just for the hell of it was turning off the bright switch and it did the trick for my setup.

Thanks again for the patch and the input.

Back
Top Bottom