AC/DC Back in Black tone FW16.02

DTS

Experienced

What do you guys like? It may have little more gain, than the original. But i'm pretty happy how this sounds. I can easily get the AC/DC riffs going on with this preset.

I used my Les Paul with Seth Lovers Set to record this clip. You hear only two guitar tracks and no post processing.

Nice. I did back in back over a backing track some two years ago. Cant remember what FW it was, but it was the Atomica model. Only a single guitar track - no double tracks, and no post production. Just played straight (hence the mistake or two) over the BT. How does it compare to your take? Guitar was a PRS CU22 with BK Mules.

It sounded good Paulmapp8306. Good cover performance. I'd say, that the tone lagged some high end bite and richness, that angus tone has. But it was in the ballpark all right.

What do you guys like? It may have little more gain, than the original. But i'm pretty happy how this sounds. I can easily get the AC/DC riffs going on with this preset.

I used my Les Paul with Seth Lovers Set to record this clip. You hear only two guitar tracks and no post processing.

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, yes it has too much gain. You need very little gain if you want a true ACDC tone.

If you don't mind some constructive criticism, yes it has too much gain. You need very little gain if you want a true ACDC tone.

Feedback is always welcome! Thanks. I have the view, that Angus Young's tone gets it's "raw bite" from driving the amp(s) very loud and the gain is very, very low.

Will do some fine tuning for the patch for sure tomorrow with fresh ears. :) But it most likely will be only fine tuning the gain a bit.

Edit :
I come from metal scene, so for me it has always been little hard to find the "right" low gain crunch. But I'm getting there slowly. Haha! :)

Last edited:
Your post inspired me to go back and redo my Back in Black patch for 16.02. Let me know what you think:

Apologies in advance for the noise. Need to turn my gate up. :)

It sounded good Paulmapp8306. Good cover performance. I'd say, that the tone lagged some high end bite and richness, that angus tone has. But it was in the ballpark all right.

I think your right there. Ive never got on with really bright cutting tones - so I probably notched the top end down a little for my personal tastes.

Reactions: DTS

I liked the tone, too, so thanks OP, but I would also add this should be brighter (to my ears anyway) if you are going for the recorded sound and are not looking to put your own spin on things.

Reactions: DTS

It´s still a problem - also with the Axe II and 16.02 - to get a great ACDC-Tone with less gain........Master 10, Gain at 2-3 with the Plexi..........mmh.......where´s the sustain and the Power...........

It´s still a problem - also with the Axe II and 16.02 - to get a great ACDC-Tone with less gain........Master 10, Gain at 2-3 with the Plexi..........mmh.......where´s the sustain and the Power...........

Play loud!!

Here´s a recording (Highway to hell) from August 14 with FW 15.07 (I think), when I build in the Seymour Duncan Slash PU into my Gibson Les Paul DC (chambered Body, 1999).

Plexi 100 W High - Diezel CAB V30 EN Live 3 Ultrares

Also to much Gain at the Solosound (Tubescreamer).......

Edit: The preset

Solosound on Scene 2

View attachment ACDC with Diezelcab.syx

Last edited:
Your post inspired me to go back and redo my Back in Black patch for 16.02. Let me know what you think:

Apologies in advance for the noise. Need to turn my gate up. :)

Sounds good to me. The tone could still be brighter tho. Great playing man. Tight!

Yeah! I agree with you. I lowered the Drive to 1.5 today (Master is 7) and i just didn't like it as much as drive been at 2.5. It lags power, like you said. I use Freidman BE sim in this preset btw. It has that nice high end bite, that sounds similar, what Ac/Dc records has to me.

I usually think JTM-45 when I think early AC/DC; FWIW. 65 Bassman might be better than a Plexi, too. Worth playing with. Maybe mix one of the two amps w/ Plexi.

I first tried Marshall 1959 Super Lead sim and OH 4x12 Marshall V30 IR, because those should be "the ones" Angus uses live. But I didn't get the tone even close with that combo.

Might be just me, but Freidman BE + Pre-Rola MIX gets me 90% there.

Back
Top Bottom