AC adapter options for MFC-101

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
I misplaced the adapter for my MFC because I use the Ethernet cable exclusively now. Will an adapter for a Pod X3 work (9 volt 2000mA). The adapter doesn't say whether the tip or the ring is negative or positive polarity so I'm hoping someone can chime in. I also have an adapter for my Rocktron MIDI Mate (1500 Ma) again unsure of polarity. I won't plug anything in until I get some feedback from somebody though.

Or can I power it with the Ethernet and still use the mid jacks to update the firmware? I had heard that was a no no.
I need to update firmware.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
From the online manual:

POWER 9VAC: Plug the supplied AC adapter into this jack. If you are using an Axe-Fx or other device to
supply phantom power to the MFC-101 over a 7-pin MIDI cable, you must instead connect the
supplied AC adapter to the Phantom Power jack of that device.
When using a CAT5 cable to connect the MFC-101 to an Axe-Fx II, do not connect the MFC-101 AC
Adapter to the MFC-101 power jack or the Phantom Power jack of the Axe-Fx II or you may
damage one or both products. The AC Adapter is NOT USED when connecting via CAT5 to an Axe-Fx II.
The CAT5 cable provides power from the Axe-Fx II power supply to the MFC-101 Expansion Port.

I suggest purchasing a new adapter from Fractal to avoid frying your $700 MFC.

Thanks Luke. I know that the Rocktron MIDI Mate for example can take both AC and DC adapters of varying voltages. That's why I was asking if anyone has previous experience with the MFC in this department. If I use the Axe to power it can I still use the MIDI jacks on the MFC to do firmware upgrades? I thought I read that you had to use one or the other.

Anyone have experience with that?

If you use the CAT5 and a 5-pin midi cable (no phantom power through midi), it should work. However, don't use a 7 pin midi cable when the CAT5 is connected.

Other than that:
The power consumption of the MFC is less than 10W (written in the manual), so an ordinary 9V, 1.5A AC power supply should be fine.

Or can I power it with the Ethernet and still use the mid jacks to update the firmware? I had heard that was a no no.
I need to update firmware.

Thanks guys!

I've done it that way without a problem.

Here's what the Wiki says:

To upgrade using the Axe-Fx II as a USB-to-MIDI MIDI adapter: Source

1. Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer, through USB.
  2. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to NONE, and UsbAdapterMode to ON.
  3. Power down the Axe-Fx II.
  4. Connect the Axe-Fx II's MIDI-OUT to the MFC-101's MIDI-IN with a 5-pin MIDI cable.
  5. Power on the Axe-FX II.
  6. Power on the MFC-101 by reconnecting Cat5 cable, while holding down footswitch 1 (enters firmware update mode).
  7. Send the new firmware with a MIDI librarian, such as MIDI-OX or SysEx Librarian, from your computer to the Axe-Fx II.
  8. Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II.
  9. Remove the MIDI cable.
  10. Power on the Axe-Fx II.
  11. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to the desired value, and UsbAdapterMode to OFF.

No wal-wart mentioned.

Danny W.

My MFC adapter went somewhere in the pile of little no-name adapters as well. I'm curious about the polarity as well. The specs for the adapter listed by bjjp2 doesn't show the polarity of that adapter either.

Can someone who has the official MFC adapter please take a look and post the specs and polarity here?

Thanks,
TT

I misplaced the adapter for my MFC because I use the Ethernet cable exclusively now. Will an adapter for a Pod X3 work (9 volt 2000mA). The adapter doesn't say whether the tip or the ring is negative or positive polarity so I'm hoping someone can chime in. I also have an adapter for my Rocktron MIDI Mate (1500 Ma) again unsure of polarity. I won't plug anything in until I get some feedback from somebody though.

The POD adapter will work. (Or another 9VAC 2.5mm barrel adapter rated at least 1000mA.) With AC in this case there is no need to worry about polarity.

Due to the design of the MFC's internal power section, it can also be run from 9VDC power, however Cliff only mentioned this on the forum once when the MFC had just come out (late 2010) and there is no mention of it in any official documentation, so I wouldn't regard it as a "recommended" way of running things. AC is supposed to be better for long cable runs. That being said, I have used both a 9VAC adapter and a 9VDC adapter in the back of the axe (pre Cat-5) powering the MFC over a 30ft midi cable with no issues or noticeable differences of any kind. YMMV.

The POD adapter will work. (Or another 9VAC 2.5mm barrel adapter rated at least 1000mA.) With AC in this case there is no need to worry about polarity.

Due to the design of the MFC's internal power section, it can also be run from 9VDC power, however Cliff only mentioned this on the forum once when the MFC had just come out (late 2010) and there is no mention of it in any official documentation, so I wouldn't regard it as a "recommended" way of running things. AC is supposed to be better for long cable runs. That being said, I have used both a 9VAC adapter and a 9VDC adapter in the back of the axe (pre Cat-5) powering the MFC over a 30ft midi cable with no issues or noticeable differences of any kind. YMMV.

Again, similar to the Rocktron MIDI mate in regards to power options flexibility. I have several of the Pod adapters so will use one of those if necessary but it looks like I can power the pedal via Ethernet and still upgrade my firmware so ishould be good to go. Thanks for the info NXP!

Back
Top Bottom