AC-30TB Patches

Phostenix

Power User
TLDR Version:

Does the stock AC-30 Top Boost preset sound anything like this clip on your Axe? Or, have you made a preset that does?
http://www.theampfactory.com/audio_samples/739.mp3

-------------------------------

Over the years, I've heard people rave about the old (late 60's) Vox AC-30s. Some claimed they would never be accurately modeled (too complex sounding).

I never thought much of the AC-30 model on the GT-Pro I had before the Axe & I was really curious about how the Axe model would sound. Even with V10, I'm still not wow'd by it. The stock preset doesn't inspire me & I haven't been able to create & tweak a preset that really stands out to me.

I was listening to some different clips on theampfactory.com yesterday and came across two for the AC-30. The '66 Top Boost, in particular, made me stop and say: That sounds fantastic! It has a unique chime & depth to it. Clean & dirty, it sounds great. It's what I've always imagined a good Vox model would sound like.

I know a guy who is a true blue AC-30 guy, so I asked him to listen to the clips. I realized afterward that I didn't make it clear that these were recordings of digital models & I don't think he realized that they were. :) Here's what he said:

"I gave them a listen. Had to put phones on to hear the bass frequencies, and that made the difference. Yes, they sound like AC30s, particularly the first one. The natural compression is evident in the 1st clip. And you can hear the upper mid sweetness is there in both. I especially like the first clip, where you can hear the T.1088 Alnicos—I'm assuming they have the original Alnicos in there, sounds like it anyway."

Since I don't really want to buy a Kemper, I really want to figure out how to get these AC-30 tones from the Axe. Has anybody here nailed these Vox tones on their Axe?

Here's the other AC-30 clip:
http://www.theampfactory.com/audio_samples/126.mp3

Not sure about late 60s, the copper tops are the most sought after (Early - mid 60s) with Woden or Haddon transformers.

A '64 in panel top boost copper top with original speakers is my dream amp. Been scouring ebay for a long time now with no luck.

My Vox preset is as simple as this:

AC30TB, Drive 1.50, Bass 4, Treble 6, Master 10
Stereo Cab, 2x12 Class-A Blue Mix and Silver Mix, no mic sim.

Sounds like an AC to me. And absolutely in the same ballpark as the clip you posted.

Also nice: adding the FET Boost before the amp.

Back
Top Bottom