About to take the plunge... again?

katsumura78

Inspired
So it’s been a few years since I’ve used anything fractal. Had a II for about 7 years and it was amazing. Sold it and was going to build a traditional tube rig. 15 pedals in and I’m pretty much sick of it hahaha. Haven’t even finished putting it all together and I’m thinking sell it all to grab the III with FC6. Anyone with a similar story ? I don’t think I’ll regret it but will the pedal itch come back or does the III kill that gas for most of you? The days of building sounds with axe edit sound like a dream come true with less hassle in the long run. Curious to hear others experiences with settling on a guitar rig.

Well - I don't know if I'm typical - but I haven't used a pedal (or a real amp) since I got my first Axe (II) in 2012. I have a III now, and I am very happy with it. I still have two amps (3 including the Ampeg bass amp) - a Fender 2x12 Deville, and a Tech 21 Trademark 60 - but I simply just don't use them.

I do know that some people have had issues with their live sound, but I expect that's a matter of better tweaking to use some of the tools available. Also, developing patches at gig level is considered the prevailing wisdom.

In short, I'm not going back to lugging large amps. I don't gig hardly at all these days, but the memories of hauling 4x12's up stairs freaks me out.

Yeah I’m gonna keep my invective head and cab and at least make some patches that’ll utilize that set up but I’m considering the Powercab 212 that was announced. Unless there’s a better stereo option out there? Not looking to spend 2k for a couple CLR’s even though I enjoyed the one I used to have. Maybe it’s overkill idk.

I hear what your saying regarding the CLR's. I do have two here, and I consider them a very sound investment. There are certainly other FRFR solutions out there, and you'll get a wealth of info if you search the forum, or specifically ask about the FRFR solutions available.

Do you feel like two for a hobby player at home is too much? I guess it’s why I’m thinking this new stereo Powercab. Hopefully I’ll be in a band setting again but I’m only jamming at home atm.

Do I? Empirically not - I have two, and the majority of my focus is self annoyance ;) As mentioned, I rarely gig these days (band drama really is a deal breaker), so these are largely for my own self torture!

Regarding the PowerCab, if I recall it's a Line6 product. I have no background with it - you're going to need to ask around (here) to see what folks have to say.

I think that the case is a personal decision - for an enthusiast, you'll like/love 'em. As a gigging tool, I have used them maybe 20 times in that scenario, and never had any complaints about my sound.

An expense? To be sure - check the forum for sale section, as well as eBay. I think they're worthwhile, and a lot of other Axe II/III users do as well.

I didn't go tubes, but I went from AX8 to Helix and Kemper, and now to Axe 3 + FC6. Experience with the other units was fun and eye opening but the Fractal does kind of feel like home. With those other devices it often feels like I have to make the device work for me while the Fractal, especially so far with the 3, feels like I get to explore other amps rather than tweak constantly. And the 3 just seems a little better tonally than the older device, a little less effort.

For home use I have a pair of JBL 5" monitors and a pair of Sennheiser headphones. I thought about a bigger FRFR but for home use only it doesn't make sense. Instead I want to upgrade my monitors, likely to some Adam or Yamaha 7".

I don’t think I’ll regret it but will the pedal itch come back or does the III kill that gas for most of you? The days of building sounds with axe edit sound like a dream come true with less hassle in the long run. Curious to hear others experiences with settling on a guitar rig.

OH, it changed my world. I've been playing for 30 years, and I was totally analog-or-die. I was flipping 2-3 pedals a month and a couple of amps a year, and I haven't bought anything since I got the III in early February. I periodically fire up a tube amp to A/B as a sanity check, but all of my regular playing and recording is through the III.

The only pedal I use is a Digitech "The Drop" for detuning. We do a fair amount of half down and even 1 or 2 full step down songs.

I bought a couple of tube amps and pedals. I sold most of the pedals after getting the Axe Fx 3. I play my Mesa TC-50 every now and again. It sounds great just through a load box and back in the Fractal for effects and IR treatment. I play at home through Adam A7x’s but I have a couple of HeadRush 108’s that fit the FRFR bill for me. Extremely light weight and sound great with a little EQ which is easy to do.

Totally forgot about the Mission Engineering Gemini II as well. Seems like the bigger cabinet will make the stereo spread a little better compared to the Powercab 212. Plus I don’t need any extra speaker modeling I’m all about the ML Soundlab IR’s. As far as running the Gemini, it looked like it only had one input? So 2 xlr outs to one TRS into the cab?? I have no clue about this stuff.

OH, it changed my world. I've been playing for 30 years, and I was totally analog-or-die. I was flipping 2-3 pedals a month and a couple of amps a year, and I haven't bought anything since I got the III in early February. I periodically fire up a tube amp to A/B as a sanity check, but all of my regular playing and recording is through the III.

This is me as well. I've been playing over 30 years, and had never believed my primary rig would be anything but a tube amp. Oh sure, I'd use a solid state rig or modeller for rehearsals or as a backup, but what I practiced with and performed with was always a tube head with a pedal or two in front. I bought and sold amps and pedals over the years. Tried the Axe-II and the Helix, and didn't gel with either. Maybe I just didn't spent enough time with them. I got an Axe-III last year, and that has cured my GAS. I even sold my Randall 667, which was the tube amp that finally cured my amp GAS.

Guitars are a different story though ;-)

Always been a tube amp guy.

Before the AX8 (now the III) I had a massive pedalboard, a Carr amp and a Gigrig G2 switcher.

All gone, now the FC6 and III and couldn’t be happier, best sound I’ve had at home and out. And I play more than ever.

For fun off the back of this thread I priced up my old system. Just for the pedals (inc power supply, switching system, case) it came to £4000 on top of that there would be an amp.

Conclusion the III has been the best, most cost effective purchase I’ve ever made. I’ll never go back

I doubt you'll regret it. I went from using modelers to tubes and pedals quite a number of years ago and swore I'd never go back. Wound up needing a fly rig so I thought I'd dip my foot back in and Fractal was the clear choice with the AX8. Three years and an Axe-Fx III later, I don't miss my amps one bit. Still have a couple around for sentimental reasons but they aren't even plugged in.

I doubt you'll regret it. I went from using modelers to tubes and pedals quite a number of years ago and swore I'd never go back. Wound up needing a fly rig so I thought I'd dip my foot back in and Fractal was the clear choice with the AX8. Three years and an Axe-Fx III later, I don't miss my amps one bit. Still have a couple around for sentimental reasons but they aren't even plugged in.

I’ll probably keep the amp around just for the heck of it. Tired of seeing a mess of cables and pedals. Never thought I’d go back to modeling so soon but it feels like the obvious choice for what I want.

My Axe II XL+ with two CLR wedges did it for me. I had great pedals in an incredible rig - Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wah, TC Electronic Flanger/Chorus, Fultone Full-Drive 2 overdrive, Original 70's ADA Flanger and a Radial VT Tonebone to push that to a Hot Cat 30 and Roccaforte Custom Head into a Marshall 412 loaded with G12C's. All that is in storage soon headed for Ebay or Reverb.

Back
Top Bottom