About to pull the trigger on an AX8, but what speaker/speakers to get?

I told you how I do it in my posts ;-)
I had the same issues as you are having at first. It is a misnomer that the OUT has to be full up or at ‘unity’. There are a bunch of posts regarding this from FAS employees like @iaresee

My main out 1 volume knob isit always at 100% because that's unity gain, I learned that on Austin buddy videos and that that's the way it should be, then I compensate with master volume and level on amp block. How do you do it?
i'm saying in practice, at the gigs, etc., the AX8 wasn't designed to have the Out 1 knob all the way up. if it was, it wouldn't have a knob.

the FX8 is designed for Unity Gain, and therefore has no Output Knob at all. so many people come here, see to "turn the knob up all the way" then get to their gigs and clip the mixer because the sound guy runs the mixer like he always does.

instead of having an argument with the sound guy, just use the Out 1 knob as a volume knob like it is.

if you want to run the knobs up all the way, that's fine. but many people - even after watching other people's videos - don't understand why they might want it all the way up, and it causes a lot of trouble. i get tons of DMs, there's lots of threads, and i believe support gets some tickets regarding exactly this.

"AX8 is clipping the mixer and sounds distorted."
where is your Out 1 knob set?
"it's all the way up like it's supposed to be."
it doesn't need to be there, just turn it down
"no someone on the forum said it has to be turned up all the way"
ok, just for a test, let's be silly. try turning it down
"wow that worked!"

this happens all the time. people don't understand what Unity Gain is. most mixers at gigs and audio interfaces when using XLR inputs are not ready for Unity Gain line level signals. so it causes problems. that's why i tell everyone to use the range of the Out 1 knob from 9 o clock to 3 o clock - and it works for everyone so far.

many Fractal users are coming from a guitar-only background. they don't know about mixers, levels, gain staging, etc. and why should they since the gear they used before - real amps - have channel and master volumes and that's it. distortion is GOOD for guitars. you can turn the knobs really anywhere and it won't have the same issues as mixers and regular audio processing.

so instead of dropping an unfamiliar term on them - unity gain - which sounds like something that is a rule of audio ("you must be at unity gain or you'll get sooooooo much noise!!!!"), i teach how to use it like how you'd use a guitar amp: use this range of the knob.

the AX8 output is so forgiving and so low noise. i'll run my AX8 at 9 o clock or less, and there's no noise at all. i think people read things here and think if they use unbalanced cables, or if they run the output at anything less than 100%, this large amount of noise and hum and bad things are just going to happen. people have told me that on support calls.

"i can't turn down the output knob"
why not?
"i read that there will be a ton of noise"
really? let's be silly and just try it as a test.
"ok.... hmm. there's no noise. wait. i thought there would be a ton of noise?!"

paraphrased from memory, but that's what was said with a few different people when i help them. same thing with unbalanced cables. but why would they design a protocol that has noise as loud as the desired signal? why would FAS say to use cables that do that? you know? it's lack of experience and fear of the unknown, and that's fine - we all have to learn at some point at our own pace.

forums and the internet are great. there is a ton of information out there. but the danger is that since it IS "in writing", many people take that as truth, and think that is the only way to go. "i need cables - hmm some guy on a forum said to get the most expensive cables i can find, because anything else causes noise. ok, i'll spend $100 on an instrument cable because i have to." that's just not true at all.

again, want to run the out 1 knob all the way up? that's totally fine. i do that for my setup if i'm running sound because i understand what's happening. but at a gig where someone else is running sound and already has my mixer channel set at 12 o clock gain before i even plug in? i'm starting at 9 o clock. there is NO additional noise. the mic preamp of the mixer isn't messing up my sound. the boogie man isn't going to get me while i play. it sounds great, the gig goes well, no arguments over audio happened, and everyone's happy.

I told you how I do it in my posts ;-)
I had the same issues as you are having at first. It is a misnomer that the OUT has to be full up or at ‘unity’. There are a bunch of posts regarding this from FAS employees like @iaresee
I just tried to quote one below. Not sure I am quoting properly.

My main out 1 volume knob isit always at 100% because that's unity gain, I learned that on Austin buddy videos and that that's the way it should be, then I compensate with master volume and level on amp block. How do you do it?
oh dear :(

No worries, Trying to help someone through some of the same initial setting i had issues with.
Check out pages 3,19,40,82 of the manual for more info on these settings.

Bottom line is set presets very close to zero with Level control so AX8 clip meters don’t light, and then OUT1 and OUT2 to whatever tolerance of the equipment they are being plugged into - which varies greatly depending on what they are plugged into.

Good luck. Hope you didn’t blow the Adam speakers!

Oooooh... Maybe I shouldn't trust so blindly those instruccional videos *facepalm*
The video you cited is good. IIRC he is going into a professional DAW software or something where he has more control over the signal coming in than just plugging directly into a powered speaker like I think you are doing. There are so many different use cases that differ.

This thing is a beast of a magical guitar tone generator once you can get over a few hurdles.

Check out a post I did on my most recent gig and what levels I used to go to FOH mixer and my owner personal monitor.

Did my first gig with a sound tech at the venue we were playing. See pic for my levels as I took a picture so i would remember where i set things. OUT1 was at 9 o’clock only XLR out to the FOH mixer. It was running at +4 option. He said he had plenty of level. The other pic is the FOH mixer we were going through.

My OUT2 was at 12 o’clock going direct to my Yamaha DBR10 wedge behind me. DBR10 level was just set to 0db and I had enough volume behind me. He sent some of my guitar from FOH mixer to the stage monitor in front of me (with the vocals and low levels of bass and the lead guitar).

So I had full FRFR with cab and amp sims on everything. Easiest gig I’ve ever done and best I’ve ever heard myself in that venue (we’ve played it at least 4 times).

And my tone was heavenly bang on guitar tone wise. I could not tell I was not playing real amps because I typically don’t move air anyway (i.e. amp in the room). I used to use a 1x10 boutique combo amp and mic it up to FOH and could never get enough stage volume from my amp without killing the tone, whereas with my AX8 setup i could control my mix independent of FOH send.

Sound Tech said “Sounds warm like real amps...not digital at all..Nice”. Took him 30 seconds to level set me.

Have not looked back since I bought this thing. That was only my third gig with the AX8. And there is so much more to start playing with as far as my presets and amp sims!!!!

Thanks Cliff and the Fractal team!!!!

View attachment 48119

View attachment 48120

Oooooh... Maybe I shouldn't trust so blindly those instruccional videos *facepalm*
There's a lot that can be learned from just about any video on the forum. Like anything though, it is wise though to make certain there's a good understanding of the bottom-line purpose of the video. I'm usually leery when I watch a video from anyone other than a Fractal admin that uses words like 'right', 'correct' or 'proper' when describing how to do something that may not be explained fully or completely clear in the manual.

I think you got Austin wrong. I think he says something like "Set Out 1 all the way up and adjust the volume on the amp". He did not mean the "amp block", he meant the amp on the powered speaker (or any power amp before a speaker). That means that if you are running straight into the Adams, you should reduce the volume setting on the monitors. If they don't have a volume adjustment knob, you have no other choice than turn down Out 1 (you could add a passive volume control between the AX8 and the monitors, but that does the same thing as turning down Out 1).

It's easier for me to think about it like this:

Austin Buddy's video explaining unity gain applies to when you are going into a DAW or interface. You'd want the AX8 output to be at max. But when running into amplified speakers or FX Returns I use the output knob as a volume control and set the amplifier or powered speaker as loud as I need it at that time. I usually set it so I have a range between 9oclock and 3oclock (thanks Chris). Into my FX Return on my combo amp, I use the Out knob as the volume for the amp because all of the preamp knobs on the amp don't work anymore since my AX8 is THE pre-amp.

Back
Top Bottom