About to Dive In - A Few Questions

LerxstFan

Inspired
Hi All -

First, let me say that the amount of information, amazing videos and helpful folks on here is amazing. The more I read and listen to, the closer I am to finally getting an AX8.

I've been using an Eleven Rack with a Ground Control Pro in my 80's cover band for years. For the range of songs we play, it's a better tool than one amp and a lot of pedals. Most nights I like the sounds I get, some nights not so much. I spent a lot of time tweaking to get sounds I like and are close to the recordings of the songs we play, but have always thought Fractal made awesome gear, but was out of my price range and a little too complex for me to program and tweak. Though tweaking and fine tuning is fun, I just want good sounds that make me want to play more.

The first question is about the switch layout and arranging the presets. I understand how X/Y switching works, but in the videos I have watched I didn't understand the latching mode. I want to set the AX8 up the same as my GCP - I use the four bottom switches and bank up and bank down switches to navigate the presets. The other switches are for adding individual effects to each preset. Can I set the AX8 up the same way?

The other question I have is about the ability to run two cabs for each preset - from what I've read I could do that for a fuller sound, but because of the processing power of the unit, it would limit the ability to add too many effects to that preset. If I could have 3-4 effects going and stereo cabs, that would be amazing.

It's been seven years of playing the Eleven Rack, which has been fun and served me well, and I'm a creature of habit that is used to what he has...but with the price drop on the AX8 and recently learning that their HQ is about 40 minutes from my home in NH, I think it's time I got on board. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• GCP 1.jpg
    GCP 1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 12
Im not sure you can get stereo cabs in the AX8. I tried earlier and after adding a cab, the cab option was greyed out to add another. Maybe I'm wrong, Im a new user. You CAN route out an un IR'd line into a power amp and cab of your choice, or even a Torpedo type unit and keep the other out as your first Fractal Cab out if that makes sense. I think you'd need something external. You'd have no problem navigating presets and tweaking on the floor. Its laid out pretty intuitively. It might not be exactly like your GC but I'm sure you'll do fine. Hey, Im in an 80s tribute too!

Q1 - yes.

Q2 - you can have two seperate IR's loaded into a single stereo cab block (as opposed to two distinct cab blocks). Pan each IR in the cab block left and right and you've essentially got a two cab setup.

I've got a series of videos which address the basics of the AX8 from setup to pulling tones which you may find helpful.

The first question is about the switch layout and arranging the presets. I understand how X/Y switching works, but in the videos I have watched I didn't understand the latching mode. I want to set the AX8 up the same as my GCP - I use the four bottom switches and bank up and bank down switches to navigate the presets. The other switches are for adding individual effects to each preset. Can I set the AX8 up the same way?
yes. there are "layers" (my term) which temporarily turn all 8 switches into Preset Switches, or Scene Switches, or Looper Control Switches. the "normal layer" is 8 assignable switches. these are typically set to On/Off controls for the Effects/Blocks like Delay, Chorus, Drive, etc. but you can also set them to Preset Switches 1 through 8. that corresponds to Preset 1, Preset 2 ... Preset 8 of the current Bank.

maybe a bit detailed since you don't have the device, but if you set the bottom row to Preset 1 - 4 switches, for example, you will only access 4 Presets in that Bank of 8. this isn't an issue - as mentioned you can still access 5 - 8 with the "Preset Layer" i mentioned above. but sure, this gets you 4 Presets, and then the top 4 switches can be whatever you want from the options available.

The other question I have is about the ability to run two cabs for each preset - from what I've read I could do that for a fuller sound, but because of the processing power of the unit, it would limit the ability to add too many effects to that preset. If I could have 3-4 effects going and stereo cabs, that would be amazing.
there is 1 cab block available in the AX8, but it can be set to "Stereo" mode. this actually just means "2 Cabs" since you can load 2 Cab IRs, but choose to NOT pan them so they instead mix to create a specific tone - perhaps 1 with a slight delay for the phase effect - or you can choose to pan them if you want actual stereo.

Thank you Bruce, Leon, and Chris!

Leon - I've been watching your videos for help - very informative and love your playing! By chance, are you a Rush fan?

Thanks all for clarifying the cab IR's and switching question - simplifies things and is a big help.

Bruce - 80's forever, my man! It amazes me still, how many people less than half my age go nuts when we play the songs we do.

Good term Chris....I don't have an ax8 but as soon as you used the word 'layers' I instantly understood how it works. Just like a digital desk!
Thanks
Pauly

yes. there are "layers" (my term) which temporarily turn all 8 switches into Preset Switches, or Scene Switches, or Looper Control Switches. the "normal layer" is 8 assignable switches. these are typically set to On/Off controls for the Effects/Blocks like Delay, Chorus, Drive, etc. but you can also set them to Preset Switches 1 through 8. that corresponds to Preset 1, Preset 2 ... Preset 8 of the current Bank.

maybe a bit detailed since you don't have the device, but if you set the bottom row to Preset 1 - 4 switches, for example, you will only access 4 Presets in that Bank of 8. this isn't an issue - as mentioned you can still access 5 - 8 with the "Preset Layer" i mentioned above. but sure, this gets you 4 Presets, and then the top 4 switches can be whatever you want from the options available.

there is 1 cab block available in the AX8, but it can be set to "Stereo" mode. this actually just means "2 Cabs" since you can load 2 Cab IRs, but choose to NOT pan them so they instead mix to create a specific tone - perhaps 1 with a slight delay for the phase effect - or you can choose to pan them if you want actual stereo.

Thank you Bruce, Leon, and Chris!

Leon - I've been watching your videos for help - very informative and love your playing! By chance, are you a Rush fan?

Thanks all for clarifying the cab IR's and switching question - simplifies things and is a big help.

Bruce - 80's forever, my man! It amazes me still, how many people less than half my age go nuts when we play the songs we do.

Huge Rush fan. Hard to split between them and Kings X as my favourite band ever.

Are you saying you can add some looper controls to the main FS page?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying you can add some looper controls to the main FS page?
I am not saying that. There are many options to choose from, but looper controls are not available. Simply spin through the list of things to see what’s there.

Coming from an Eleven rack that I loved, I can tell you absolutely, that a "step up" is not even a close description to moving to Fractal gear. I went initially to the Axe II, then to the XL+, and now from Amplifire (which I still love) to the AX8.

You are going to not believe your ears..Leon's 80's patch is all you need to download brother..a few tweaks to it to suit your tastes, and I bet you never do anything but change scenes

Back
Top Bottom