About to buy...audio gap question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scene controllers as mentioned above are a great workaround. I use the 5153 blue 100 watt for my main gigging sound and use a scene modifier on the gain to drop it down till it becomes clean so it can be used as my clean sound as well. No audio gap.

Haven't tried this method yet. Thanks for the tip.

Fractal knows about the audio gap - they put it there. They know people want it improved. It's been stated that they will work on it as possible.

If you want the higher quality amp modeling of Fractal, then you have the audio gap, well-documented here in many, many threads with tips on how to improve performance.

If you prefer no audio gap, you can use a product which people say offers that feature, usually at a lower quality amp modeling and tone.

There is no perfect gear. In almost every industry there is a compromise for different things. Let's keep it at that. Feel free to express your opinion here, but please don't make personal attacks on others.

We all have the option of not posting in threads that don't interest us, and also not responding to posts that bother us.

Let's keep this discussion on track. Thank you.

Except Line 6 and Atomic are doing it. But yeah, if calling it completely unrealistic makes you feel better, go with that.

If fractal keeps getting a free pass on the shortcomings of the unit, then they have no reason to improve. Pointing out something that could use some improvement is much more helpful than just towing the company line all the time.
I have no affiliation with Fractal whatsoever, nor am I just a fanboy "toeing the company line". I do however echo Chris' sentiment, if someone needs absolute seamless changes between scenes and presets, there are other products that can do it. It all depends on what their willing to compromise to get it. As a long time Line 6 user, I was hopeful the Helix would fit my needs but the AX8 was just better tonally and the effects quality was higher to me. Any "shortcomings" I may have encountered have been easily remedied and become non-issues.

I'm all for discussing issues and making them known but most issues come with two points of view. When an issue starts to become stated as a major flaw or something that everyone has a problem with, I will share my experience. People can interpret it any way they want but please don't presume to know my motives. I have and will continue to respond to any issue(s) I've had personal experience with, good or bad.

I play the 5153 Red as my main (high gain) tone and always used the Bogner Shiva for my cleans.
The audio gaps definitely were an issue for me. When we played some of the faster stuff and I had to switch to another scene the first notes were always missing and of couse that had absolutely nothing to do with my playing style. Maybe it's not that noticeable when you play blues at 100 bpm but if you're a metal guy and the only guitar player in the band it's annoying.

I found a solution that works for me but have to admit that we don't have many clean parts.
For my main rhythm tone I use the 5153 with a drive pedal + a volume boost for the leads. For my crunch tone I bypass the drive pedal and in my clean sound I use no amp at all!
A (different) drive pedal, some fx and the same cab. That's it. It maybe doesn't work when you need lots of different clean tones, but for me it's the best solution and it works pretty good. I just had to lower the level of the rhythm sound. It doesn't sound as good as my Shiva but it's very close and good enough for me. No audio gaps at all!

Why does audio switching gap seems to be the number one concern of most newbies and amateur guitar players? I don't think it is as critical for players who posses good technique and timing, coupled with solid musical arrangements that don't rely on wandering song structures and effects laden, ADHD-infused gimmickry.
Lolz. Nice troll. I'd say that you have that exactly backwards and it's the newbs playing alone in their bedrooms who aren't bothered by the gap because they aren't working with other musicians, don't have an audience listening to them, and have never experienced the real amps that are modeled (as evidenced by the "real amps have the same gap!" nonsense). They are cool with the hacks like using a drive pedal or hooking up a scene controller to gain because they don't realize how bad that actually sounds compared to a high quality, channel switching amp. "Good technique and timing" can't make up for a full dropout of sound including reverb/delay. It's amazing how many people have commented on this post that I don't think even understand the issue being discussed.

Whatever, dude, a Pro makes it happen, doesn't complain in a forum. They don't call the creators of the product and hosts of our forum liars! (overenthusiastic marketing? ...FOH)
Get a proper dual amp/rack system set up that works for you and show others how to do it. If other products/brands work better for you that's great and all! Put you money where your mouth is.
Get two AX8s on a loop switcher and there you go! Don't have the money? Then you're not a Pro! Just a newbie, an amateur or some crybaby whining because THEY can't make a piece of gear work in a ska-jazz-death metal-world music-atmospheric-fusion-one man band/project context. My point still stands.

Audio gap as a deal breaker for those considering to buy a FAS product IS FAKE NEWS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom